Thursday, February 24, 2005

The ups and downs of a snowy day

Well, it's real snow, and beautiful, for starters. And people enjoy it, some, anyway. There have been quite a few walkers, all kitted out in snow gaiters, prancing happily by. And earlier this morning, two young boys frolicking like colts down the meadow, throwing themselves into soft snow and generally having a great time. Despite having sleds with them, one of them invented a practice of hurling himself on to his back, and then as he started sliding downhill, raising his legs to 90 degrees and sledging on just his upper back. I wish I could have heard their shrieks and laughter as well, but watching them was a joy.

So, I decided to take myself off out and take a few photos with the digital camera. This was fun, although the wet, soft snow that has been lightly falling since early morning did keep landing on glasses or camera, but what the heck. Actually, without going up in to the woods, there were not so very many interesting shots, because this is wet snow on to wet ground. There has been a breeze as well, so the trees are now clear and there are some thawed patches on the tracks. Still, it was nice to be out, and I love taking photos, brings out the Bailey in me (showing age).

So, here we are:

snow 24/2/05

The view across the river in to the meadow.

Then there is this:

snow 24/2/05

Which is the view up the lane past the cottages. The further one is us.

And, finally:

snow 24/2/05

Remember the dustbin? Looks a little bit more glam with a chapeau of snow! No mogs today. Cats do not go out in snow. At least my two don't, or much anyway.

So, downside, and sadly, there is one. Getting in and out for a few days is going to be hell, because as the overnight snow materialised, I now believe them about the frost. That has meant cancelling the ritual Thursday get together, too (lucky Liz, being in Alabama and missing this!)

But the really nasty thing was.....well, I have this totally barking mad neighbour, to tell all about her at this point would take way to long, but she yells at passers by, and on the whole I tend not to go anywhere near her. And then I tell myself that I am being stupid, of course she won't say or do anything, so there I am doing the Bailey thing, and I get a torrent of abuse. Bloody woman waits until I have got just past her property and am walking away from her, then lets fly with what sounds like something pretty nasty, but I ignore her and walk on. I can never ever decide if this is the best thing, when it happens. Part of me wants to tackle her about it, another part is a coward, and yet another knows that she genuinely does have mental health issues, and that saying anything will improve matters, but maybe make then worse. Grrr.

So, I am giving up the rest of the day to spinning and beading. Much the best thing.

gw

No comments: