Saturday, February 19, 2005

H'mm

I sometimes forget - and I am talking about fellow guild members, here - that not everyone shares my sense of excitement and passion about fibre and what to do with it.

Guild today, and the scheduled programme was called something like "Wheel and spinning clinic". OK, so not the most imaginative of titles, but descriptive, one would have thought, and we are probably a guild with more spinners than weavers.....By kicking-off time, I think we had mustered around a dozen, and a tiny handful more trickled in over half an hour or so. Right, we had got the enthusiasts.

This event was to be fronted by me, Freyalyn and Magrat, but not as "teachers", simply starting things off and acting as possible advisors. We emphasised that this was to be a skill-sharing thing. I had volunteered (yes, I know, I had said that my mouth was going to be firmly shut from now on, but what can you do....)to open with a brief homily on how to check over your wheel on a regular basis and The Importance Of Oiling. (Not for six months in one case. I say no more.) Now, to questions.

As they say, Nothing, Zip, Nada. It got embarrassing. One brave soul did ask in a fairly half hearted sort of way how to deal with multi-coloured roving - I got Deb Menz's "Color in Spinning" out of the library cupboard, and she went away happy. Pete started a round the room thread of what were we all spinning, which it was like getting hens' teeth drawn to complete. And then we all gave up and just chatted, which was very pleasant. Really.

But I did feel kind of.....what? This could have been fun, it was certainly not intended to be an ego trip for any of us, we three of us were happy to talk about a subject dear to our hearts, hear what others had to say, maybe learn something new ourselves, and help other guild members if appropriate. But no one else was interested, many of them to the extent that they didn't even turn up. If that is the case, then that is their prerogative, and I shouldn't feel dischuffed about it, but I do. OK, so the problem is mine then! That's that cleared up.

Good side - I got an entire bobbin of Wensleydale spun that will make nice socks, and I worked out what my next knitting project is going to be. What more can a lass want, eh??

Got the bag finished, photos tomorrow, hopefully.

gw

1 comment:

Sara said...

It's your guild. You are never famous until you're 50 miles away from home. *what's an expert? Some fool, from 50 miles away*