Friday, January 19, 2007

Riding the rollercoaster

I have not even managed any sock knitting for the last couple of days. (That is going to change.) Life is giving me quite a ride at the moment, and having burnt the ear of friends various all evening, I find myself continuing the saga here.

first and foremost, he is ok. That is the most important thing. Other than that, it's a bumpy ride.

The storms hit yesterday. My sister and I were together, drinking coffee, when there was a massive gust of wind and a minor explosion, or so it seemed. Bright blue flash outside the window. Loss of power. Which remained off for several hours, as the wind had brought down a tree the other side of the river, taking out the power line.

Meanwhile, we went off sick visiting, to get really good news, that the docs were going to do an angioplasty and then he would be home, likely to all be over in a few days. So I came home, no power still so we repaired to the pub for a meal, got back to assess the damage which really didn't seem all that bad. Three blown light bulbs and the computer safe. has brought a constant stream of discoveries of the weirdest minor (I do hope) things. The bottom oven, the printer and worst of all, the washing machine are all non-functioning. In some cases it may be blown fuses, I am crossing everything I have got that that is the case. Friends help - someone is printing Pete's email messages off for us tomorrow, and washing the jimjams. BIL has taken the seized bolt and wingnut from the lavatory seat that unaccountably collapsed yesterday (oh, I forgot to mention that, didn't I - nothing to do with the storm, though!) Whatever I have done to annoy whichever deities, really, I am grovelling, truly I am.

Because irritating and frustrating as all those things are, that isn't all. I went in to visit today, to find he had been moved to another ward without anyone letting me know, which was fun, but never mind. The real bummer is that some other doctor somewhere has looked at his tests and decided that there has been some damage done to the heart muscle after all. His consultant at Halifax doesn't agree, but the other one controls the angioplasty unit, so has the upper hand. An MRI is to be done - and for that he has to wait until Tuesday.

It totally shook me - if we had had this news at the get go, that would have been one thing. But to have been given the least bad scenario, only to have it snatched away again is hard. Ah, well. We will get there.

Why am I maundering on like this? Because in a year's time, I want to look back at what I have felt and think - phew. All worked out, we are doing ok, I didn't need to worry.

And you can tell I am, I cleaned the fridge out at ten o'clock this evening.


Charleen said...

Household chores at 10 PM? Only one reason for that. I can't tell you not to worry but I can tell you that I'm lighting candles and keeping you both in my thoughts. I know you'll be reading this next year and smiling.

Anonymous said...

Glad you survived the storm and I'm waving the sharp pointies for your DH!