Monday, January 15, 2007

Finally, yarns

I have just about finished experimenting with the yarns for my next glass, based on those from "Handspun Revolution". I have some rather mixed feelings about it all, much to my surprise. The book is a bit of an "emperor's new clothes" sort of thing, as so many things are these days (grumpy old cynic!) - but.

The first one or two I tried left me considerably underwhelmed. Like this one:

knots

Here, you spin a bit, break off the yarn, tie a knot, spin a bit.....yawn. Boring to do and not pretty to look at. Then, I tried some where you mix commercial threads alongside whilst handspinning. The first couple of attempts, not photographed here, were as above. So I got to thinking, and realised that if instead of leaving it as a singles a la book, I plyed it on itself.......

multi-plied yarn

Now this I like! I could even see myself doing a largeish quantity for a project, if I had some unexciting mohair yarn to use up, or something.

Next up, I tried coils. The singles - which is pretty much just overtwisting the yarn mightily - I couldn't get to work, one because I have spent mumblemumble years managing to get rid of overtwist, but also because I think it probably only works with a fairly hefty singles anyway. Abandoned that one. Next, though, I tried the "beehive" yarn. Now, as suggested in the book, plyed with a slick silk thread, I didn't like it. So, I spun a fine merino singles instead, and lo and behold, a yarn that I think actually does have some potential.

beehive

(This is a lousy photo - well, none of them are all that hot, but I have had several goes at improving them and have failed, so - tough!)

So, I move on to the pukka coiled yarn, all prepared to hate it. First attempt with the wool singles as in the beehive, no dice. But with a silk thread, oh, good fun! I even enjoyed spinning this one - it is a bit like a boucle to do, but not as nervewracking.

coiled yarn

I have one more that I can use, sort of made up and rather simple, but I think in the spirit of the thing and just about in yer face enough. I added firestar globs/slubs at brief intervals.

spot glitz

There's one more as yet to work on, if I get around to it - I've had one attempt and it didn't work, that was spinning sequins in. It is going to mean actually unstringing them and rethreading to make a successful yarn, and I don't really see that that is all that different from a beaded yarn. We shall see.

Anyway, after all it turned out reasonably good fun to do, and it will make for a good class, I think. The one remaining knotty problem is suggestions for what to do with the yarns when spun! The would couch on to things very nicely, but that is about all I have been able to come up with.

Thinking caps on.....

2 comments:

Katie Cannon said...

I love the colors of yout yarn and they look great. I found your site through the Fiber U webring and I think I will bookmark you and come back soon

Katie Cannon said...

I love the colors of yout yarn and they look great. I found your site through the Fiber U webring and I think I will bookmark you and come back soon