Monday, March 20, 2006

Musings on supposedly the first day of Spring

According to my friend Heather's diary, today is the first day of Spring. Not the 21st, or 23rd as I often think, but apparently, this is the Equinox. Whatever. Bloody funny spring. We do actually have a couple of the mini daffs up in the bed in front of the house, gets the most sun there. But otherwise, it is bitingly cold, blustery, and threatening snow flurries. Read this, and shiver!

Still, looking on the bright side, at least there was a little sunshine today.

And looking a little further afield on an even brighter side, next week I get a little taste of this. Pay particular attention to the forecast for Wednesday 29th, and keep your fingers crossed for me!

The last few days have vanished in a blur. My class on Friday went really well, all that angsting and more likely, preparation led to a good session. One participant was waltzing around at the end of the day with abracelett of yarn samples around her wrist, well pleased with her days work. I also had a complete beginner who I had producing yarn on the clunky old classwheell by the end of the afternoon. One of
those lovely, attentive, intelligent students, fabulous to teach.

The next day it was the turn of the DSM, who had a knitting with energised singles day at one of our favourite local guilds, so I went along for the ride - well, I would have done, anyway. That allwentt very well, too. sueb has come up with a great idea for a workshop that he could do, and I am reinforcing the notion ateveryy possible opportunity. I like the idea of us teaching our way around the country in a few years time after he retires, or semi-so.

Sunday we decreed a day of rest, but I spent most of it knitting a birthday card. Well, you know what I mean.

bead knitting card

This looks even nicer in the flesh, so to speak, as the light catches the wire and the beads rather better. But I can see potential in this technique.

Today I have been a grass widow (do people still use that expression from my youth, I wonder?) as the DSM is in Newcastle on work pursuits. In fact, he has just phoned to say that his meeting tomorrow was cancelled after he had set off - how totally stupid! But there is other stuff he can do, and another meeting on Wednesday, so I remain femme seule.

Apart from two cats. Oh, gawd. They usually behave like little monsters and I end up in the spare room when the lord and master is away. Yes, I know, I know, any normal person would shut the mogs out of the bedroom. But in our odd little house, the door doesn't latch properly, and in any case, they would simple sit outside and yowl as only siamese can, not to mention bamming on the door all night long. Ah, well. It's going to be a cold night.

1 comment:

Charleen said...

I haven't heard that expression in a long time. In the U.S. a grass widow meant a woman who was separated or divorced. Didn't sound like that applied to you, so I googled and saw you have a different meaning.