Thursday, March 09, 2006

Morning musings and other stuff

I woke up this morning and immediately began to think about food.

No. No, I didn't. I woke up this morning and immediately fell into a panic thinking that I had become paralysed from the hips down during the night. Then I woke up enough to realise that the cats had crawled under the top quilt and had draped themselves over my ankles.

I do rather wish they wouldn't do that.

I did get to thinking about food a bit later. I started thinking about what we might have for supper. I am always happier if I can make this decision early in the day so it doesn't hang over me - it isn't so much the cooking as the what to cook. It dawned on me that over the years, I had run through a lot of recipes and styles of cooking - the biggest change being going veggie around twenty years ago, and I suppose, making the decision to go back to eating fish more recently. Nowadays, it is all pretty simple, except when we have that rare occurrence, people over for a meal. And all fresh ingredients - although tinned tomatoes counts as fresh, I find, in most peoples books.

When I started out, it was with Marguerite Patten and Cordon Bleu - the DSM and I just happened to be getting married a month or three after the famous partwork came out for the first time. I collected it all, and used it, too. It eventually went to a car boot sale, I think, when we stopped eating meat. Now, fresh ingredients are all, but there are way too many things to be factored in around that - five (or is it nine?) fruit and veg, low fat high fibre - or not if you are that way inclined. Then there is the friend on the weird Chinese regime based on damp and dry or somesuch (given her by a practitioner who hasn't, I believe the least nodding acquaintance with China).

Personally, I think that it is all made up, plucked out of the air, invented so that some expert or other can con us into thinking they know what they are doing, or even care. Phooey. All I know is that I don't want overly processed stuff, anything GM because it is all happening too fast, nothing factory farmed or travelled over too long a distance. Slow food with flavour sounds about right, although the slow can perhaps mean the eating rather than the preparing? I don't want any more to be chained to the stove. Well, not often, anyway. Sometimes, it is the best fun......and I do mean to cook.

None of this helped me to decide what to make for a meal tonight (our organic veg box was a little unhelpful this week - good stuff, but didn't speak to me) So, guess what - soup again.

Oof, small rant over. Perhaps I'll go and find a nice glass of something - except we ain't supposed to do that, either. Ha.

On an entirely different note. Some beautiful beads fell through the letterbox this morning. I bought them off US eBay, from someone I have "known" for years, and they are....fabulous.

JG's beads

This is a pretty terrible picture, which in no way does justice to the lovely things. (If you visit the site, click on Gallery, and I think the pink ones top left are the same ones, near as dammit, anyway) When I eventually get to doing something with the other than drooling over them, it is going to be fun.

1 comment:

Twelfthknit said...

Hi - unfortunately I didn't make those beauties - they really are good old fashioned Party Ring biscuits - the bad thing is that they come in a whacking great tub now. Bet they'd make interesting spindles, though...