Friday, March 24, 2006

Gifts and guilt

The coven met last night, the first time some of us had got together in a while. The fabulous Freyalyn, finally recovered from her attack of shingles, came bearing gifts.

That's the gifts - why the guilt? Because I teased her like mad about not bringing us all one of the fabulous coats she had treated herself to from the local market. And she then produced what she had brought.

Turkmen bag

This is a lovely little embroidered bag that is just the right size for a midi or small spindle plus fibre. Very cool. These are hand-embroidered in the traditional colours, principally red - all her photos were full of red. (Which would originally have been madder.)

Turkmen bag - detail

A closer view.

But I got an extra, with which I was thrilled.

Turkmen dye plant

Now, how many people do you know who would be thrilled with a bunch of dead flowers? I could hang this in my window to ward off evil spirits, never a bad idea. But, of course, it is a dye plant, and I do intend to use it. I think it may be anthemis tinctoria, which google tells me is grown in the mediterranean and asian regions as a common source of yellow; or it may be tansy. Something akin to those, anyway. It is still a little aromatic - good job there were no sniffer dogs around.

I have been known to smuggle dye plants home myself, particularly wolf lichen (oh, joy, I should be able to replenish my supply this autumn when we go to SOAR!); also rabbit brush from New Mexico which gave me a truly fabulous yellow-gold. With the latter, it is the climate, of course. But I would love to get more one day.

1 comment:

Twelfthknit said...

I was sorry to hear that Freyalynn has had trhe shingles, but glad to see she is on the mend - I shall send her extra good thoughts when I'm soinning more of her fab fibre this weekend.
India