Monday, March 27, 2006

It's raining, it's pouring.......

I had to do a quick dash in to town this morning, and got pretty damn wet in the process. I did have the foresight no to take a brolly - the wind was so strong, they were popping inside out all over town. Instead, I chose to look eccentric in my Mendocino "stetson", which not only has a good wide brim, but a leather card to tighten under the chin to keep the hat on in blustery weather.

But...despite the gloom and the downpour, I was very aware that the accompanying milder temperature has given a spur to the plants. I had already caught sight of the first primroses from the bathroom window, but going outside, I also saw lots of daffodils, and the forsythia at the end of the lane is just about bursting buds. The tulips and daffs in the pots have a way to go yet, but - progress.

The clocks changed this weekend, and a combination of that and the mater nearly did me in yesterday. She did enjoy her trip out to the Thai restaurant - the young waiters are so sweet with her, infinitely patient and incredibly respectful. I'm afraid I can't manage it quite. I can't wave a magic wand and make her young again, the help I do offer is not what she wants to hear and she won't, and probably doesn't want to, try any of the things I suggest that might make the days a little less boring. It's a syndrome that affects people at all stages of life and is impossible to do anything about unless the other person wants to make changes, but it is sad - and very frustrating. We worry that her nutritional needs are not being properly met by her care home (which they have a statutory duty to do) because she doesn't eat red meat, only chicken and fish, and is a bit picky about some other things including a lot of veggies. But she won't let us talk to the manager, nor do so herself. Actually, she has always been like that - preferred to complain to all and sundry except the people who might be able to do something about whatever it is, so why am I surprised!

What a long moan - very boring. I'll shut up about it.

I sat and finished off the polwarth bag when we got home - after calling in at Cotton Traders on the way back, and buying myself a rather cool pair of pink boots! They are more on the walking boot scale rather than the Jaywalkers ones, so I will have to be quite careful what I work out to wear with them - I think I need a long, flared denim skirt. I might get the sewing machine out, although I am not at all happy with either of the ones I have at the moment (DMIL gave me her old Singer, which I had serviced, and it didn't improve matters.) I am going to buy myself a good new one when I get my pension money later this year. (Aaargh! I mentioned the "P" word!)

Concentrate, Carol. Polwarth bag - not as good as I would have liked, not as bad as I feared it was going to be. I do think silk outers work better. And I have decided I am going to try a crochet one, and probably a different shape, too. I don't quite know where this obsession with useless little bags comes from, but I see no signs of it stopping so I might as well go with the flow. Here it is in all its glory, anyway.

polwarth bag

I have just been brave and had a look at the weather forecast for Antalya - and it is giving sunny (and pretty warm) for Tuesday and Wednesday. Let's keep everything crossed, eh? And for photos, too. The DSM is taking the SLR, but not the tripod, he is going to use me instead. So think of me, spindle spinning, trying to stand as level and still as possible, with a camera balanced on my head. Or, better, don't, you'll spill your coffee.

Anyway, pics in a few days time, I hope.

2 comments:

Freyalyn said...

Meant to come back to earlier - the dyeplant is called 'yusarlik' in Turkmen.

And I came out as a cougar! "Reserved, overly-critical and sometimes a bit on the cranky side...... etc"

Anonymous said...

The bag is fantastic
If your penchant is for bags right now I'd continue doing it as you said.
Very quiet here but will see Grant this weekend. I hope the crud that Maggie and Timmy gave me is gone.
me