Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Midweek; or the lull before the storm

My week got off to a very unusual start - the DSM was actually able to work at home for two days, slightly unofficially and with the aid of a memory stick. He might just get converted to technology yet.

This was very nice for him, and for me as we got to have lunch together and he was "home" by 4.30 instead of two hours later. The downside for me was that of course he was in MY workroom on MY computer all day, so 4.30 saw me hurtling upstairs to do all the checking of emails and blogs and whatever that are so essential to my diurnal round.

Sad, innit?

But basically, that was the Universe being nice to me, as it was on Saturday when I was taken off to buy my birthday present. A new digital camera. With lots of video time available, and sound. So, once I have fathomed it all out, which will take some time, this blog may be graced with all sorts of bells and whistles, and I could just mean literally.......

Fibrewise, I am combing my way through the jacob fleece, a pleasant occupation on a sunny afternoon, iPod in ear. It is a very variable critter, and I think a lot of it may never be used, but the good stuff is quite good, and nice to spin. That may well be the task for this afternoon, although I want to press madly on with the Noro shawl as we may be going to the splendid woolshop in Clapham (North Yorkshire) as part of my actual birthday treat.

Tomorrow sees the Coven arriving for lunch. The Universe was nice to me at Sainsbury's as well' where I found smoked salmon and other goodies all on special offer. The obligatory Prosecco was bought some time ago. Had to make sure of that!

But the best treat of all from the Universe came last night. We had been to Book Group, had a very pleasant time, and were driving back down one of the interesting tracks that there are so many of around here. These are relics of the pre-industrial times, when substantial houses were built whose inhabitants both farmed sheep and wove "pieces" on handlooms - I can't find an actual quote that is relevant at the moment, but Daniel Defoe's "Tour through the whole island of Great Britain" paints a great picture of the time. Anyway, there we were, driving down, through some woods.

When not one but two badgers suddenly scampered across our path! I was so thrilled, I have always wanted to see badgers, and have only managed dead ones by roadsides so far. These were fine and fat and fit, and a splendid sight. They do live in our woods, and at bluebell time you can see their pathways easily, but this coincides with prime midge season, so we have never been out to see if we could spot them. These came as an unexpected gift.

If I survive tomorrow, I will report on the feast and fun. May even play with my new camera.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I will raise a glass from here, or there, as it were, as I will be in Boulder for the weekend. New DIL's mother, also a Carol(e), has a birthday the 13th, too, so I'll toast you there. Not so bad when everybody celebrates!

Anonymous said...

Prosecco - yummm! There's a small bottle in the fridge, so I'll just have a celebratory drink in your honor.

Am listening to "The Light Fantastic" and picturing a certain member of your household trying to ignore talkative trees.

Charleen said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! Enjoy your day/week/month/season!

You may have to take a month off to recover from all of your festivities!