Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Road Trip

For the second time in a week, drove over to one of our "local" fibre suppliers. sueb is staying at the moment, and she needed fibre...so did I, it seems.

Shameless, I was. I had bought essential supplies of silk and soysilk on the previous trip on Friday, when I went with the coven. Today I indulged. I was only going to get some glorious alpaca and silk, for me and for the DSM, and maybe some merino and silk, a different blend from the one they had before which I had found a little tetchy to spin. However, there was this Iranian cashmere - only a little left, and they won't be able to get any more. I thought about the cashmere that I already have in the stash, and no, I really didn't need any. Then I started thinking about the shawl that I could make with all the different shades that I have (not so very many, two or three.....) It did seem very appealing.

I have to plan on a winter of serious spinning. I also need to go through the stash when the DSM is away from home, and get rid of some of the crud that has accumulated over the years, you know, stuff that just might come in handy...

I got my punishment for the sheer greed driving home, stuck in roadworks for nearly an hour with the sun blazing in on me. (Actually, a very pretty day, and a nice temperature, just not when in a metal box with no air conditioning.) never mind, we had a good time.

Tomorrow we are gadding again, oiff to East Riddlesden Hall to have lunch with one or two of my chums. Stitchers rather than spinners, but that's ok. As long as they do something!

Cooked us such a simple supper, but bloody good. Portobello mushrooms stuffed with onion, nuts, a little wholewheat breadcrumb, shoyu and tomato puree to moisten, slice of tomato on top, baked in a hot oven. Totally plain steamed cauli, courgette from the garden, organic carrots and potatoes - but what a difference a well- flavoured cheese sauce makes.

Yum.

gw

No comments: