Friday, August 26, 2005

Musings on midges

Just briefly, don't panic, I'm not madder than usual.

Sixteen or so years ago, when we were househunting, I did of course know all about the dreaded Scottish midge. Bane of tourists lives &etc.

I did not know about the equally dreaded Yorkshire midge. You would have thought that some of the placenames might have given us a clue - like Midgley, Midgehole and whatever. But no.......

We soon found out. Now, if the DSM gets bitten by one of the little buggers, there is a great deal of leaping about and squeaking, slapping, unseemly behaviour in general, followed by a pink bump for a couple of hours somewhere about his person, and then, bye bye midge bite.

If I get bit, I don't notice, usually, at the time, then twenty four hours later up come these enormous hot weals that itch and irritate like hell for the next several days. Fun it ain't.

Is there a point to this? Who knows. The musings were really an analogy about how we all have stuff to deal with in life, and that maybe it is like midges, we all react differently and why shouldn't we? Is her problem any worse than my problem, and does this matter? As long as I know that in the grand scheme of things, what the answer to that one is, I want to feel free to leap about and make a fuss for a few minutes if it seems like a good idea at the time. And then shut up about it.

Now. Work in progress. The hanks of merino/silk are all hanging outside in the pouring rain where I hung them to dry yesterday. No, of course it wasn't raining at the time, but it began to do so without my noticing, and has kept on doing so off and on since. We have nowhere suitable to hang dripping wet skeins other than totally exposed to the elements, and as I can't spin them in the washer (long story, has I think been told somewhere earlier...) we have to wait for the weather deities to relent. The yarn is forest rather than teal, and, I have to confess, splotchy. Whether or not this will make a huge difference remains to be seen - I think I am going to knit my shrug and if the splotchiness looks awful, do an after-the-event painted dye job.

The necklace is finally finished, and I really like it. I would at this point insert a photo, and one of the multi-coloured yarn, but Blogger appears to be partially on strike, with no tools/icons/whatever available, so I will save this as a draft and return later.

Later....so, WTF?? On my return, still no tools, can't even spell check this. So, I shall publish and be damned. Is it some stupidity of mine? Is the world going to hell in a handcart?

Answers, please, on a postcard.......

gw

No comments: