Friday, August 12, 2005

Nine bottles of Prosecco

So, if I can manage the maths, that's three consumed, only it was four, because Nanny Ogg brought one along. That's between five of us and Magrat was driving. Maybe that is what the health professionals mean by binge drinking!

Actually, it was lovely to simply let it all go hang for once. We spend way to much time these days agonising over the latest pronouncements on what is and what is not good for us. Sometimes, it might just be more sensible to throw it all to the four winds, let the old locks down and have a giggle.

It was a good birthday, and grateful thanks to the coven for enabling it.

I did, though, exhibit caution in one sense. I decided that after a day of indulgence, it would actually be a bit of a waste to go out to dinner, so instead of cooking up the proverbial tomorrow, we are going to the Thai restaurant mob-handed. L&M, plus I rang my sister to see if she fancied joining us and she does.

It was nice, too, that the DSM understood that I would greatly prefer a quiet and gentle evening in with him, and that, no, I had absolutely no intention of cooking for him, what did he think leftovers were for? He got to finish off the excellent lunch, including Freyalyn's buns. Lavender, rose and lime fairy cakes. Yum.

OK, so what now, given that I am one year older, and rather more sober than I was yesterday? I managed a little gentle knitting, and have finished all bar the last few stitches in the toe the first green sock. I did the round toe, which is quite nice - I usually do the star toe, this may be better. I never, ever do Kitchener stitch, I hate doing it and it looks really stupid on my weird shaped foot. I'm going to try to gallop along with the first Opal sock this weekend, see if I can't have a mismatched pair. Nothing else new - I just continue to work on the herringbone spiral and the Falkland top. But next week, I will organise more dyes, and get stuck in to that as it makes sense to do it while there is still some summer left. So I am not being idle, there just isn't much to show for the minute.

I need to try to avoid being distracted by another beady thing though, as someone on the British Beaders list just posted the instructions for the peyote spiral that I have been looking for, and I am dying to try it......

I should subtitle this bit "The Curious Incident at the Petrol Station" or something - or not. Stopped to fill up this morning on the way to Tesco's, not paying too much attention to anything at all, noticed that the car in front of me was pulling away from the pump. Next thing, there were anguished cries of "Mum! Mum!" (Although as it turned out, it was actually "Mom".) And there was this teenage boy chasing after the car, which slowly continued moving until it simply crashed in to one waiting to leave the forecourt. Which was possibly a blessing in disguise, as if that car hadn't been there, I think the runaway would have continued on into the traffic.

Both mother and son, Americans as it transpired, were very upset, particularly the kid who had tried hard to stop the car but of course had not been able to. All the women (interesting!) at the garage were very sympathetic and offering kind words, advice etc. But I did wonder afterwards if the problem had been that used to an automatic which can just be put into park, she had forgotten to put the handbrake on? All too easy to do, I should imagine.

I had intended to record/witter on about all sorts of things including my visit to York and the mater on Wednesday, but you know, it's over and gone and I simply can't be bothered. Ay de mi, what alcohol will do to the brain!

gw

No comments: