Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Just an ordinary Bank Holiday Monday

(Pause for much-needed swallow of coffee - it seems to be one of those mornings....)

So, what does that mean? Well, it rained, for a while. That's pretty typical. Oh, it was an ok day - quite nice, really. I managed to fit in beading, spinning (the multi stuff, I want that out of the way) and knitting (the green sock, ditto).

I have finished the fondant icing Opal socks - visited the mater on Sunday, and completed them then plus casting on the second green one. I think she considers me (us) a bit odd because we do this, but it helps a lot. After all, much as I sympathise with her (and it has taken me quite a lot of therapy to be able to say and feel that!) there are only so many times that I can sit through the recitation of her prime interest - her health - without losing the will to live myself, so I reckon my knitting benefits both her and me! It also means that there is little or no risk of Pete spending lots of years in clink for at best manslaughter, so all round, better to put up with a few pained looks.

Speaking of the DSM - and returning to the subject of August Bank Holiday Monday - the DSM was in to DIY yesterday. After several hours of him being stuffed in to the shower cubicle - remember "how many students can you fit in to a mini? - we now have a regrouted and resealed shower. I certainly hope it is resealed, anyway, as we have already lost a couple of chunks of kitchen ceiling to slow seepage....still, done now, and we can relax for another few years!!

More coffee - I wonder why....

So, socks.

Opal socks

Yes, I have funny shaped feet.

I am not a fan of commercial yarn. I realised this morning that I didn't knit, really, before becoming a spinner. I only started because of all that yarn to use up somehow, as a stopgap before working out how to crochet with handspun (still working on it), weave (ditto) and embroider (stopped planning on that one long since). Interesting - the notion of knitting has definitely become more appealing over the years, but my focus is still on simple shapes, stitches, whatever. And Why Not?? I might yet there one day, I might not....thought.....I could end up like and not like the mater, stuck in a home, but still able to happily knit my way through endless shawls and things based on squares. The stash will come in useful after all! (And, what is more, she has only a tiny touch of arthritis in her hands and my father had none, so that bodes well.

Segueing on - I wouldn't mind having a go at painting my own self patterning yarn, but I fear it may be just a tad mathematical for my brain which Does Not Function Like That. But I might get the book that is out there somewhere, and give it at least a go. Or I could just carry on trying to create some nice, unmuddy painted/dyed top. To that end, the fish kettles have finally arrived. That was a relief, I thought that I was going to have to get tough, and attempt to go through the ebay dispute process, but thankfully not.

Cue for shameless cat photo.

Max & fissssh kettles

He thinks they are extra large dinner bowls, dear little soul. What they are are two fish kettles stuck together, waiting for me to figure out how to separate them. This is the revenge of the vendor, I suppose. Boiling hot water poured on them should do the trick. The fish kettles, not the cat, dear god, perish the thought.

The idea is from the famous Freyalynn, use them for dyeing tops - could work well, even in my hands. When I get around to it.

I have gone back to using flickr, tried the new Blogger button but am not really too impressed. I'll give it another go sometime, but I need to practice the positioning of both photo and words. Easier at the moment just to paste it in.

OK, I'm going to spin some more and indulge myself in Radio 7 I caught up on "The Navy Lark" yesterday, and episode five of "Vanity Fair" but still have last week's "Journey In To Space" and one or two other goodies to listen to.

Because although it is still August, it surely ain't warm outside.

No comments: