Sunday, July 31, 2005

Antidotes (2)

The great pleasure of exquisite food.

We have been treating ourselves to some rather delectable lunch items at weekends recently. Last weekend, it was globe artichokes. The one before slow-roasted garlic, with the Delice de France rustic sourdough to spread it on and to mop up the olive oil-rich juice, well laced with fresh herbs.

Today's treat was sublime. A little dish of real potted shrimps. They taste as you think the sea should taste, very slightly briny, with a tiny tickle in the nose. I should explain that when I say shrimp, I really do mean shrimp, the brown ones that are a separate species from the pink ones we in the UK call prawns. They come in a spiced butter, are best with melba toast, but also superb with the same sourdough as above. We also indulged in grilled green olives. These have to be my favourite - which used to be the smoked black ones, but I haven't seen those for a while.

Bonnes bouches. Can't be bad.

The sea - which I miss like crazy. So, I am considering the possibility of another birthday-year event, somewhat akin to what a friend did a couple of years ago. Renting a very large house for a weekend house party. I like the notion of the North Yorkshire coast, really beautiful but not too far to go, somewhere in the vicinity of Robin Hoods Bay, perhaps. I searched briefly on the internet, and have found a few possibilities without even trying so very hard. Would a weekend be long enough? Maybe not. Time of year would take some deciding on as well. I have plenty of time to work it all out....

Now, to fibre and beads. The blue herringbone spiral for mama is coming on reasonably well. No point in posting pictures until it is finished. The tension has gone very slightly awry (at least I think that is what has happened) once or twice, but on the whole is pretty good, and I think it will be ok. Very little spinning, to preserve my back, although that is again improving. Knitting - I found another lace pattern that is much more sensible. In the Sarah Don book, called "Bead". A four row pattern, with a six stitch repeat, so I have a chance of learning it, at least within the row! Maybe in a few months time, there will be enough of it done to photograph!

Finally, I find myself compelled to post this link. I found it whilst blog-surfing, and can hardly bring myself to believe that it was taken in Leeds, but it was.

No wonder I need antidotes.

gw

2 comments:

Charleen said...

If that picture wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Spindlers2 said...

Exactly.