Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I take it all back

Publicly, i'faith! There are times when having the male of the species drooping around the house with a cold can be other than a pain in the rear end. (Plus, I have to also admit that it wos me wot gave 'im the thing in the first place.)

A problem developed with my lovely new wheel last week. The tension knob seemingly jammed fast, wouldn't move one way or the other. In trying to solve the problem I more or less dismantled the entire flyer assembly, but still couldn't see what was going on. Eventually this afternoon, I phoned the maker, and it was only then that I realised that it wasn't the whole knob and screw arrangement turning to alter the tension, but just one cunningly contrived part of it. I simply hadn't seen that, what with my eyes and the rather dim corner of the room the wheel lives in.

Anyhow, I asked the DSM for some assistance, swallowing my pride, as I really should be able to deal with these things myself, but still sometimes being hampered by memories of catching my then very long hair in the electric drill motor aged twenty something - and no, of course I didn't need to use an electric drill for this job, but it was slightly more DIYish than wheel maintenance which I am usually confident with. I think it was a combination of the usual humidity problem around these parts, and maybe some of the construction being just a tad off. So he took a hacksaw to it, and I did gentle things with emery paper and then would you believe, Thread Heaven and dental floss! I have a very inventive approach to problem solving....

All seems to be fine now, I am glad to say. I have finished the merino and silk, and am now plotting the dyeing of it. I picked up some merino and tencel to start spinning, more or less as a default, having no major project in mind as yet. I am still feeling very foggy after the cold and all the gadding around. Which is why, no doubt, I have just committed us to going to Chester for the Association Summer School trade fair, or at least, part of it. Am I barking, or what?

But as I wasn't feeling overwhelmed by creativity, I used some time to cut through a little of the grime around here. Good opportunity to show off.....

gw

No comments: