Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The heatwave continues

Yes, it is if anything hotter than ever. The only place I am really comfortable is in the shower, turned to as low a number as I have ever used it on. Or, in front of the pc where we have a fan adjacent. Excuse me while I whimper gently.....

I struggle to do fibre stuff (Well, I struggle to do any bloody thing in this soup, but I mean stuff for pleasure.) I may have finished the grey crochet waistcoat, but until I can bear to try it on in front of an independent witness I am not certain. The armholes may or may not be too deep. Meanwhile, I am using some of the left-over yarn to crochet a bag which will then be felted in the washing machine.

I am spinning, too. Multi-coloured merino and tencel on the Timbertops, grey Falklands top from Rosemary on the Lendrum, when away from home or sitting outside in the shade by the door. That stuff spins up fast, and I have an idea for a sweater, which I do actually need to sketch out. I'll scan it in and maybe put it up here. I also spin on a spindle at four in the morning when I am wide awake, when it is pearly grey outside, the dawn chorus (such as there is at this time of year) is playing softly outside the window, and the temperature is comfortable. I would tell you that I sit and spin naked, but that might cause a panic, so I won't.

And, it occurs to me that I ought to be washing fleeces. I have some - a few - ahem, several - from last year, that I never got around to washing because of the lack of summer. No excuse this year. Maybe not tomorrow, it is the DSM's birthday and I do not want to be hot and dishevelled and reeking of sheep when he gets home.

There is, seemingly, much excitement in Leeds. Streets evacuated, controlled explosions and the like. The speculation is that information about the London bombers is behind it all. I would like to think so, but am as yet unconvinced, so many times this has happened, that a cell of terrorists is unearthed. But turns out not to be such, just the powers that be wanting us to think that we can all sleep safer in our beds. But maybe this time - fingers crossed.

Whoa, the power is fluctuating like crazy, must be a storm around. Time to go.

gw

No comments: