Friday, January 07, 2005

The hectic round

Life! At the moment! Oh, not so bad, but a slew of visitors, for NYD (two lots) and the evening after, which really is worth a blog entry in itself but I don't have the time to do it at the moment.

sueb arrived from Oxford on Tuesday, which is nice, but it isn't then easy to slip away for the time it takes to record in the usual deathless prose all the doing and ramifications &etcs. We had a good day out on Wednesday, visiting a fibre store and adding to the respective stashes - shame on me, so early in the year, and having just tidied up the existing mountain, realising just how much is lurking in there. But I really could not resist a little luscious cashmere, some wonderful merino and silk and one or two other things. Including a quantity of soy silk that I want to dye naturally for Woolfest.....

So, yesterday, in a moment of confusion and madness, I do something truly stupid and grab hold of a very hot pan support, without benefit of oven gloves. What I was thinking of, I really don't know. However, amazingly, I seem to have got away with it - I did move like greased lightening to drop it, turn to the tap that was already running, and stick it under icy cold water until I couldn't stand the pain of that any longer, and then Sue made me sit holding ice in a cloth for ages. And it has worked! Hardly a mark, and virtually no pain, only in I grip anything too vigorously, so I have a large bandage to remind me not to. I do feel and awful fraud, though.

I am spinning - and was able to a little last night even with the silly bandage - some cotton and silk for a birthday scarf for Margery. I don't think I like cotton and silk too well, can't get it to come out even no way no how. So plans for a fine two-ply to knit lace have been ditched, and a pattern that enhances uneven yarn needs to be found/devised.

And - I have very nearly finished the amulet bag for Pennie. It looks OK, I think, now that the strap is on. I just have to reinforce that somewhat, and I think it will do. Then back to the purple bracelet I was doing, maybe, or a new watch band, which I do rather desperately need....joy! And once the Guild secretaryship is out of the way, I am good to go. Ye-haw, or something similar...

gw

No comments: