Friday, December 31, 2004

Old Year's Night - or New Year's Eve?

Magrat brought this up last night - most of us call it the latter. In fact, I see it as both, a drawing together of the threads, and underlining, of one part of an on-going process; and a fresh start, a time to make changes or take new steps. Time to slough off some of the bad, and try something that hopefully will be better. That's why I always like to make resolutions, both ones that say "I will not" and those that say "I will try to". In short, it is an important time for me.

Unfortunately....not everyone in this household feels that! So there has always been, shall we say, a certain amount of unspoken conflict. Well, it didn't used to be unspoken, it got pretty verbal years gone by. But what the hell, life's too short, I quit arguing, just do my own thing inside my own head.

That has been harder this year, and I really don't know why. (The whole midwinter festival thing has been, as probably aforementioned.) But I do need to have some kind of resolution-outline in place before bedtime.......ok, so basically, not to beat myself up so much about stuff, and to get done more of what I really want to be doing. I'm not going to set myself targets here, not so many items finished by this time next year or anything like that. Just to aim for a feeling of quiet satisfaction about the amount of time spent on spinning, knitting, even weaving (oh, there's a laugh!), reading even - compared with time spent on burnishing the homestead or whipping up souffles in the kitchen (I don't - really I don't!!! But you know what I mean.)

I would like to have the currently ongoing stuff finished by the end of the month. I would like to spend more and regular time with my charka, and to make the tiniest little thing with some of the yarn. I would like to dye lots of stuff for the wool festival in June (and as an aside, having looked at their website this morning, my chances of teaching there are screwed - I'm not going to say why in what has even the tiniest chance of being a public forum, but I will eat my Sunday best scarf if I get offered a workshop!!) And I would like to make just one thing that I am as close to feeling completely happy with as possible - spun, dyed and whatever, not from commercial yarn. Oh, and more time writing (chips a bit more off the domestic stuff...)

I don't want much, do I??

gw

No comments: