Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Falling through the cracks

I have decided that this is a funny old time - the few days between Christmas and New Year, when Pete goes back in to work and I am despite my best efforts just somehow hanging there. The intention is to put the time to good use - decree it my own personal holiday, spin, knit, bead, whatever - but somehow, it just doesn't feel right. More work needs doing!

I have today knit a little and started plying the Optim which I finished spinning last night. I'm going to do a very simple lacy scarf - possibly even Old Shale. Not quite sure, need to sample (!!!) first. My plan for lots of beading may go completely pear-shaped, as my reading glasses fell apart this morning, the screw has vanished, and the optician isn't open until after the New Year. I haven't yet tried with the OTC readers/magnifying lens. I hope one or both work, it has been so nice to get beading again.

Monday's visit to York was ok-ish. The mater is getting through the sherry again, and it is amazing how much difference it makes - she has a much better mood all round when off the stuff. It is such a shame - I am the last one not to enjoy a little tipple in the interests of fun and relaxation, but one or two is way different from five or six, and somehow she can't see how much worse she feels when she is drinking more. Too late to change her now, not that anyone ever could.....

My self-indulgent order from Amazon arrived this morning, a very welcome post-Christmas present to me. The two books on beading are lovely - the Interweave one on brick stitch, which is waaaaay better than I had thought it might be, and the Carol Wilcox Wells ""Art and elegance of bead weaving" is gorgeous too. I particularly like some of the little beaded beads and shapes that I can have fun playing around with and using up some of the less well advised purchases that I made before I had any glimmering of what I was doing. And yet again, those words ring out "so many projects, so little time". So - get on with it!!

gw

No comments: