Sunday, December 26, 2004

I wasn't dreaming of.......

I never do, because I never believe for one moment that such a thing would ever happen. but, blow me down, this year it did. We woke up yesterday morning to an honest to god real and genuine white Christmas.

In fact, it snowed off and on throughout the day, never enough to make for any depth or road problems, but enough to keep everywhere looking like a fairy tale. Pennie arrived nice and early and joined us for breakfast, Heather called in with a chair and stayed for Buck's Fizz, presents were opened and in the main greatly appreciated (I have one book that I already owned, but I am sure I can sort that one out) we went for a (in my case) very short walk. And I came back and whapped through all the veggie preparation before the others arrived.

We had a nice time. I actually wouldn't pitch it any higher than that - not quite sure why. I suppose I felt that I was picking up some sort of a vibe from someone or other, but really, it was ok. The meal was good - my usual Rose Elliott Christmas roast, which is gorgeous, all the usual veggies and trimmings, and a pud from Betty's, which was super, better that others we have had, and which will become a regular feature. Freda brought a gorgeous pancake thing and Heather some desperately rich but delicious homemade icecream. We didn't eat too much, or (rather more sadly!) drink too much either. Stayed up chatting with Pennie till quite late, which ended up with me peacefully knitting whilst P&P discussed the DWP for ages. Well, they were happy - whatever it takes!

And today - Boxing Day - the weather has been extraordinarily beautiful. Blue sky, sun, and the light snow cover intact as it is very cold. Quite gorgeous. Pennie left fairly early - well, we will see her tomorrow - and Pete and I have now nearly finished the big crossword (this is so that he can tell Cornwall that we have done so. Sibling rivalry!) I was struggling while he had the paper and I knitted, but once I grabbed it off him and abandoned the knitting, we sailed along. We are managing our tradition of not cooking - there were leftovers after all, and I had bought plenty of salad ingredients, so tuna salad for lunch and we shall have fried potatoes and left over roast for supper. We are out tomorrow, so no cooking then, either. Much as I love cooking for friends, it is soo good to have a break from it.

And as we were speaking of the knitting (as this is supposed to be a fibre blog of sorts) there is a rat scurrying through the maze of my brain that wants to abandon all originality with the Rovings yarn that I have been struggling with for so long and turn it in to a domino afghan. I actually think it would look good like that, and would cut through the Gordian knot. Then I could move on to something else garment-wise. What are the pros and cons? The aforementioned, but against, where would I display/use it, without the risk of Max eating it. I need to think about it.

I finished a bead bracelet for Pennie in time to give her as an installment on her birthday present. I really think she liked it. the next bit is finally under way, and I am also enjoying beading again. I need to make sure that I build that in to the regular round - I need to get the NY revolutions done. So many projects in mind.......

gw

No comments: