Thursday, December 09, 2004

Christmas is coming.....

...the nut roast is getting fat. And I have just done that thing - you know, where you are sitting comfortably and suddenly you feel your mouth opening and words over which you have no control at all just coming right out.
Having been saying to all and any who would listen that, lucky us, we were all on our own again this Christmas (and meaning it), first I go and ask my sister to come over, which is fine, and then when a friend tells me that usual plans between her and some other folk we know are maybe not working out too well..."Oh, maybe we should all get together!". And, yes, that was your voice, Carol. And so it is going to be. Well, I'm not sure about Pennie, yet. Whatever.
So, instead of the two of us slobbing about and eating and drinking too much in front of the telly, or more likely some Bach, there will be six or seven, and one of them I haven't even met!
Actually, I think it will be fun. I am, buggerit, faintly reminded of the Christmases of yore, when we used to get together with R&R, J&J. This makes me cross, because those days are long gone, through no wish of mine, and try as I might, I still have some unresolved issues, and...well, no need to go there now. Revenge? Who said revenge??? No, this is an entirely different thing, and the people concerned are interesting and fun, and I have no emotional capital invested, and I think it will work out just fine. But getting planning would help - it will go much smoother with plans - and lists. Can't beat a good list.

So what else, apart from the fact that I am a very irregular blogger? I've been over to York to visit the mater, which was actually very pleasant, and I must do it like that again. Spent the night with M&R, and then went to a beading day. Which turned out to be fun, light relief and all that, but not quite what I had thought it would be. Still, made a change, and got me actually handling wire working tools again. The next one will be much more stretching, on herring bone. Looking forward to that.

I have been trying to finish a bracelet since then, and having all and everything go wrong. That will teach me to despise stringing! And no, I haven't been working on the one I want to do for Pennie, though I will do soon, really. Yes, really. But its like everything else at the moment, hard slog and often doesn't work. But. But, I keep on trying, and do eventually get there - I think! The strip waistcoat is still in bits, but is slowly being taken apart and turned into a mitred square waistcoat. I'm trying to creep up on it, I'm not really doing that, just sort of doing an extended sample. I am actually a little unconvinced that I am totally enamoured of it, but I sort of have the feeling that I want to do something with this particular yarn and then be done with it. I can't, for whatever reason, just put it away and move on to something else - sometimes that is the right thing to do, but not this time. I need to complete something with it that is livable with, and then I can look myself in the eye again. Sad, or what????

I have to write one more thing. Dorothy has died. It was so quick. And that was, I think, definitely one of those cliched mercies. She and I were not close friends, but I had known her a long time, through guild, and Sue's class, and Thursday nights. I liked her quietness and her sense of humour. I am going to miss her a lot.

gw

No comments: