Tuesday, November 30, 2004

There must be fibre in here somewhere, surely?

Well, yes, there is some. I was at the Knitting & Stitching Show all day Saturday, and took my wheel. I am braving another fleece, the famous Babe, in fact. I washed a chunk, dripped it dryish over the sink and then put it on a rack by the radiator to finish of. Oh, amazing, it maybe felted a tiny bit at the underside, but it could just be the fleece. I'm combing it, and it is coming up very nicely. (Babe is a Polwarth/Jacob cross in varying shades of grey, quite a fine fleece of intermediate length. I reckoned too long to card comfortably, and in any case, I prefer combing to carding, and its my fleece and I'll card if I want too.......
I'm spinning Babe pretty fine at the moment, and am not sure which way to go - I could do a three-ply for socks, or thin the dreaded "l"(ace) word. I'll see how I feel.
Anyway, all day at the show, quite good fun, didn't spend too much - a few beads for a class I'm taking (not leading) early next year, a project box, and some Shetland top from Jameson and Smith because its good stuff, and we should be encouraging them. But I was quite restrained for once (the size of the hangover credit card bill from the US trip might just have had something to do with that!)
What I hadn't bargained on was having to go back on Sunday. Yes, these things happen - two people got sick, and no one could help that, but I do wish one of them had let us know before twenty minutes after she was supposed to be there! Might have stood a chance of contacting one of the others at home if we had known at an earlier hour. We did have a sort of back-up plan, but it didn't work out time-wise, so we felt we had to go back to help out - otherwise all the gear would have been left languishing in Harrogate, which would not have been a good idea! So himself goes sick on Monday, being somewhat knackered, and then throws a wobbly sleepwise last night, and isn't it funny how his threatened sleepless nights turn in to my actual ones......Ah, well.
So spent a very sleepy day with a friend, and we have decided that we need a working day every three weeks or so to try to focus us. We do some of the same things, some different, I can see this working out quite well. One aim I have is to do some felting - I love doing it, and will rarely set a day aside just by myself. More dyeing, too. And we both find we have been cherishing a secret desire to make cards in a variety of different techniques, including doing marbled paper which she can do and will show me how. I see this as a New Year's revolution - I love those, and actually they do kind of work for me. Fingers crossed!

gw


No comments: