Monday, November 08, 2004

So much to do, so little time

That doesn't really express it all, but it will do for a quick and dirty title. Last few days have whizzed by in a blur of activity, mostly cultural (and deeply satisfying in the main).
Thursday evening- coven. Quiet and very pleasant, first time I had been since SOAR/cold etc, and nice to be back. Especially as Nanny Ogg brought Her Famous Chocolate Cake. Yum.
Friday. B came over for the day, and we went to the Bankfield for the Sue Lawty and others exhibitions. Got there at 12 to find they were closing for lunch at 12.30 which was a bit of a pain, so rushed in, had a very quick look around and then found that Sue was there, doing a week-long residency. So had a bit of a chat, and I ended up talking myself into doing a review for the Journal. Which is going to be difficult, as I was blown away by the exhibition. Anyway, she also told me that there was a talk on Sunday lunchtime, so....
Spent the rest of the afternoon chatting with B, after a nice enough but not outstanding lunch at the new pancake place. H'mm. Then went in to Leeds late afternoon to meet Pete, have a meal and go to a play at the Playhouse. Train did it's "lets have a nice long stop at West End" thing, so was very late in, meaning we missed our booking at the Cactus Lounge and had to settle for the Playhouse. Double h'mm. Shan't do that again in a hurry.
But the play - "Yong Tong" - was wonderful. I hadn't really expected to like it too much, not being a major Goons fan. But it was well constructed, written, staged (very simply, one set with a rise-up bar settle and table to be a pub, and a row of mics to be Goons recording sessions) well acted, with a cast of four, and the Harry Secombe one must have been a long lost son, the resemblance was so good, funny and gently touching. It was an exploration of Milligan's manic depression, essentially, and his character in general. Very nicely done, and I loved it.
Saturday night is opera night - sometimes. This time, Cosi. Again, a very good production, nicely cast (although one tenor had obvious problems with his voice on the night, and I know it isn't usually like that, we've heard him often before), good to look at. But I shouldn't go to actually see Cosi. The music is sublime, but I at least cannot rise above the story. I know it insults both genders and all the characters, and I know it is only an opera and all opera stories are silly, but even so I read it as very much more anti-women than most and I cannot get over that. My problem. And it certainly will be if it comes up again and I don't want to go and Pete does!!
We did go to the lecture by Sue on Sunday, and it was very good. Had a better look at the work too. Quite wonderful. A logical development of her thinking -I'm not going to go in to it here, I might post the review when I've done it - and it was at first very energising and encouraging. But then all my doubts came back with a bang, and I felt very depressed that I could respond so intensely to her work, feel it stirring my own shreds of creativity, but yet not be able to actually pull everything together and do something myself that I could like, see as valuable, accept as truly creative and worthwhile. I need to mull over all of the feelings stirred up, try to work through them I haven't the time to do that now, and haven't thought it all through anyway. It's painful. But I must.
So that's all the fibery talk this time.
An action-packed few days though (and maybe that's part of the problem?)
And reading back over this, although it was indeed action-packed, I seem to have condensed it in to very few words. Is this good or bad, I ask myself? Bleah, I need to go spin!

gw

No comments: