Monday, January 10, 2005

Displacement activity

I am supposed to be doing a hundred and one things, with a very tight deadline on all of them - so, I have just had a swifto cruise through most of my favourite blogs, for starters. Not a lot new from most folk - maybe they are more effective at actually doing the things they are meant to be doing...One person tells of identifying a Knitters Against Fun Fur group - have to confess, I rather like it, as long as it isn't taken seriously. I've done a scarf or two, and a very cute little bag, at least it will be when I get the lining in . Speaking of which, I bought a skein of very pretty, rather pricey Colinette viscose chenille, which has speed knitted into a long skinny scarf over the last couple of days - just needs tassels now, might do that tonight.

The cotton and silk is spinning up ok, now that I have set my mind to not worrying about it being consistent. I'm likely to indigo dye it, probably deliberately unevenly, and then do a very simple moss stitch scarf. Should do the trick, maybe?? What else is on the go, needles, wheels, whatever? Well, the waistcoat is now no longer suffering from an identity crisis and is an afghan. What is more, I have decided that it is not to have fringe, but a border all the way around of little triangles. Don't ask me why - it just it just spoke to me. Socks still stalled - might have a bash later. Oh - and the left-over madder residues from last year's workshops now has fibre and a silk scarf lurking in the depths. The colour was coming up a rather pretty old rose at first, but there must be some yellow left in there, as it is gradually becoming more orange. An interesting experiment, anyway.

The Pat Green carder from Loom Exchange is not going to happen, sadly. I couldn't quite bring myself to buy it sight unseen, and the owner seemed reluctant to ship it up here anyway. I did a quick look on the internet, and the Deb's Delicate is not as expensive as one might think, so I might go that route - or look at Ashford and Louet. I dunno - I really fancied a Pat Green.

Oh - and I have a speaking engagement booked for March...2006!!! Natural dyes. Every little helps!

Must go do some real work. (Repeat as necessary.)

gw

No comments: