Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Coffee in the afternoon

Usually, I don't. Drink coffee in the afternoon, I mean. But H arrived earlier than maybe, very upset over some bad news (doesn't touch me directly, but, oh, really bad news in her context) so I made coffee for both of us, and you know, it is sometimes not such a bad thing!

I have drunk coffee in the afternoons, years ago when visiting Germany. Kaffee und Kuchen. Milky coffee and luscious cakes. I think the Europeans do life better than we do. We are so damn Protestant and uber-virtuous (something doesn't sound right....??) but think about it. Buttoned up, tightarse, Scroogey, its-a-sin-to-enjoy-yourself-too-much Brits. Grrrr.

Now, just where did that particular rant come from, eh?

I am actually feeling pretty good today, despite the usual dank, grey outthere. But - but I have just looked out of the window, and at ten to four, it is still daylight, and that despite (see above). The year has turned!! It is always right about now that I first really see it, and it always makes me feel that I can survive the rest of the winter. And today I feel like a crocus that is just coming up through the earth and could turn in to a wonderful purple spear at any moment.

Now, there's a thought to conjure with........

One reason for the feelinggoodness is that I have nealy finished fettling all the Guild stuff to hand over onSaturday. I was actually quite surprised, I hadn't done such a bad job of keeping on top of it after all, and it came together with the minimum of angst. I can feel the clouds lifting with every sheet of paper I tote. I don't really understand why it has borne down on me to the extent that it has, but there we go. So, resolution number one (for real). Never, ever again agree to Be Involved. I mean it. Really and truly. I Am Done. Paid My Dues. Right? Right.

And number two, from the recent trip to the supermarket. Smile at those who are most annoying you. I mean that one an' all.

At present, my nightowl personality is trying to reassert itself over the imposed lark. So, I am not always getting to sleep straight away. Last night, I lay there until 12.15, then gave up and got up. Spent an hour beading, which was a very good use of the time. God, I love beading! I've gone back to the freeform peyote piece using the large purple square beads that I was working on before I started doing Pennie's pieces. It was going to be a bracelet, but I keep looking at it and thinking that it would make a super art piece on a silk paper or felt background. And I need a new watch...

gw (or Pollyanna - she's back!!)

No comments: