Tuesday, January 18, 2005

If at first....

I wrote a lovely stream of consciousness post yesterday afternoon, entitled Carpe Diem. Prompted by the sudden death of someone in our Guild, not a friend, but we had only just been talking to him on Saturday....seize it and use it, amongst other stuff, I said. I'll never recapture it. Must be somewhere lurking on my hard drive, I guess, but Blogger ate it somewhere between here and publication. Sigh. It's always the best stuff that goes......

Whether it was that or not, I don't know, but in the interval between head hitting pillow and actually falling asleep, I saw a beaded thing. An amulet bag, but a slightly different shape, with ditto fringing. Using some multi coloured beads I bought a string of last summer and some ditto (mot du jour?) crystals in three sizes. So - drop everything and start it. Why the hell not?

It has snowed again today. I do wish we could have a real snow, an overnight snowfest, several inches lying by morning. See the footsteps kind of snow, deep and crisp and even - well, I'm not so fussed about the even, but imagine it, glowing white and frosty cold, boots crunching in the gleaming icing sugar. May never see that again. But - this morning while I was having breakfast, the sun appeared over the hill and shone straight in to the room - great! Its back! Some things, for now, remain the same, and beautiful every time.

Just spent an hour working hard on the cotton and silk. I've pretty much got the hang of it now, can crank it out quite quickly. You would think that it would mean that I wasn't enjoying the process, but in fact, speed spinning has its own joys. The superfast hum of the flyer, and the whipping back and forth of my drafting hand - I like the feel of the skill that takes. The yarn is actually quite nice, too, and not as uneven as I had feared. Now I have to be deciding what to dye it with. I should like to be brave....

gw

No comments: