Thursday, February 16, 2006

Wet, with sunny periods

Less of the former, more of the latter, actually. Very nice to see the sun. But there is a downside. When the sun attempts to shine through my windows, a) it has to struggle through months worth of accumulated grime and b)what gets through then shines on months worth of accumulated grime. So I have been forced to do a modicum of housework, and we all know how I feel about that.....

Actually, as of this moment, virtuous, of course. It won't last.

I played hookey on Tuesday, and had a day out with a friend to Borders in Preston. I do like having a mate who understand the principle of such - that browsing in a book store is something to be savoured, and not rushed. That is one of the reasons why Borders have cafes, of course. I do remember when they weren't Starbucks, but leaving aside their habit of taking over every thing in sight, they do to my taste provide relatively acceptable beverages - and sandwiches. Anyway, we had a good time, and I spent far too much money.

Coven beware! I bought a little book of baking. More experiments on the way!

I browsed the craft section of course, but found nothing. I did have a nice conversation with another browser about my curly crocheted scarf that I was wearing, and I was able to tell her how to do the knitted version, which was all very nice. But they need a new buyer for that department......

I am surprising people at the moment, infamous as I am for my non-belief, by searching for books on religion. For a few reasons. One, because in these times when disinformation is running riot, I think that having an inkling about Islam is a good idea. But also because many years ago, I did an essay for something or other on the history of religions, found it totally fascinating, and always wanted to return to the subject. For the same reason as before, now seems like a good time. Interestingly, it is proving hard to track anything down. Modern comparative religion, yes, but not the development or history. I shall keep searching.

Meanwhile, I have finished, technically, one Regia sock, but am not totally convinced that it is quite long enough. I might just have to take it back. Bother. The inner for my new bag is slowly progressing, too. This is the somewhat boring bit - much more fun to play around with holes and beads on the outer.

Then, as this seems to be a year in which silk is going to figure large, I am spinning some Royale Hare silk on my Timbertops, which might also be a mistake. I think I would do better on the Lendrum, with the superfast flyer. But I am such a wuss about using it, because I hate re-threading through the orifice and flyer arm when the yarn breaks which is does with monotonous regularity. (As a ridiculous aside, what a lovely onomatopoeic word monotonous is to type... onoto. All rhythmical and ditditditdit. Well, I know what I mean, anyway.)

OK. More vacuuming and dusting. Sigh.

No comments: