Friday, February 24, 2006

A goat and cabbage situation

By which I mean Max on our bed, Neelix under the quilt on the spare bed, and the cat box in the workroom.

Now, Neelix might if spooked go to ground between the truckle beds, and would then be impossible to extricate, or flee downstairs on to the top of the wall cupboards, equally problematic. Max, if spooked, would go to ground underneath our bed, right in the middle where I could just about reach him, but only with a lot of undignified acrobatics on my part and me with a slightly dodgy back.....

So, the plan I decided upon was to very, very quietly close the spare room door, so that Neelix might not hear any altercation, and couldn't escape in to the rest of the house. Then, with the workroom door and the cat box open, I sauntered through to our room and managed to grab one sealpoint before it shot off the bed and underneath same, rushed it into the box, and the first squeak only came as it got stuffed in, so surprised was it (surprise is key...)

Another, rapid, saunter to the spare room, and oh joy! One tabbypoint still slumbered under the quilt. I got a headlock on it before it knew what was happening, galloped back to the box, stuffed cat in and slammed, in a manner of speaking, the door close. Whew. Two small cats subdued and captured - doesn't sound as if it should present the challenge that it does, but please remember that these are siamese.

My planning skills are such that I should have been a captain of industry.

Chives! Celeste, how could I forget those. They grow better than anything else around here, and are one of the few things that sometimes self-seed. I love them in salads, and omelettes particularly.

And Charleen, I have only one word for you - groan. Unless, of course, what I should risk saying is maybe you don't know your rs from your elbow? I won't apologise for not resisting that - one of my late, lamented grandmother's favourite sayings. I'm sure that I have written before about these, but most are too indelicate to repeat in polite company. Every girl growing up should have a grandmother like mine, not that my mother would agree with that statement.

I've just had a look at the weather forecast for Cornwall, and I don't somehow think that we are going to get our balmy sunshine, picnics on the beach scenario Never mind - I'll make sure to pack the cossie for the pool, extra books and plenty of stuff to do, and we can laze in front of a good wood fire instead. Sounds ok to me.

So, off to pack. Dpns, sock yarn, cotton, charka......

3 comments:

Celeste said...

Definitely in the salads and omelettes. I used to put them in Yorkshire puddings too, but the blokey will only let me add sage and onion now.

Twelfthknit said...

sounds like the rigamole we have each evening - bed time has to sneak up on those slitty-eyed guys, or we spend what should be quality snozzing time compromising our dignity while they look haughtily on. It's a gene thing.
India

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your preparations for a Cornwall visit . Then I went to the weather page for Cornwall. Who knew that it would be nearly as cold there as here in the sticks of Saskatchewan, Canada. But I never regret winter myself. It is a perfect time for reading, knitting and spinning. Hardly anyone brings up my lack of exercise in the winter.

Hope you have a restful perfect break

Dianna