Friday, February 17, 2006

Sidetracking

I am so glad I am not signed up for the Knitting Olympics. I am sure people are having fun, but doing it all in a rushrushrush is definitely not for me. I am doubly glad because, oh horror! For the first time ever I have had some hand pain from knitting. The left hand, of course, where yes, I do know that I have some minor problem, a leftover from the days when I had a fabric shop and used my left hand to unroll the bolts of fabric. Of course, a repetitive strain injury.

It did eventually clear up, until a few years ago when I took up breadmaking again, and that did it no good at all, which is why the DSM is the breadmaker in our household. He's good, too, almost too good. He has strong hands, and probably slightly overkneads the dough, so it rises like the bejasus. Tastes good though.

But I digress. Knitting on little dpns, as I have been doing with both sock and bag, is obviously too much gripping. So I have distracted myself with this.

s&z

The DSM is doing a workshop on energised singles soon, and I volunteered to do some samples/possible projects for him. This is looking fun, but I am not sure if it is really going to be practical. I am aiming to either weave the ends in, or just maybe to leave them flying and lightly felt them. I need to experiment. I would also like to see some beads get in on the act somehow. But I do love how s and z spun yarns behave as energised singles, and it seems that these needles might be big enough not to exacerbate the albeit minor strain.

Another reason for being glad not to do the KO is that I therefore don't have to watch any of the O, except if I really, really want to. And so I have been able to miss absolutely all, thus far, of the housework on ice schemozzle. I utterly fail to see the attraction of sweeping a skating rink with a hairy broom whilst attempting to outrun a large rock. I do realise that I have just totally antagonised all my Scottish acquaintance; sorry an' all, but life is just too short.

And finally - thanks to yesterday's Guardian, I discover this website. Very cool. And what a lot of knitting, spinning, fibre, whatever blogs there now are. Can't be bad.

No comments: