Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Unexpected gifts

One arrived in the post this morning. I was going to include a photograph of it, but my camera is telling me that my card is not initialised, which I do not understand at all, and frankly it is scaring me. I will wait until the DSM comes home to offer moral support whilst I try fiddling with things.....but I digress. I have a subscription to the most excellent "Selvedge" magazine (to which I have no affiliation, I should, I suppose, add) and they have an endearing habit of sending subscribers a little Christmas gift. Last year it was a ball of Rowan yarn, this year - well. It's even better. It is a little notebook, very plain and unassuming. Made from, not recycled, but discarded paper. In other words, bits of leaflets, posters, packaging, whatever, cut and folded into this little book. You can peer into the folded leaves, and see something of the original thing, some printed in (I am guessing) Hindi, others are shiny, calendared stuff, then there are the brown wrapping paper type leaves. I find the mix irresistible, but I also love the way imagination can run riot as to the original purpose of each larger sheet, who ordered it, who printed it, who discarded it and who had the brilliant idea of making something new and full of promise out of it.

Mind you, I shall probably have the usual problem that I have with luscious notebooks (of which I have many). I love them so much that I can rarely bring myself to write anything in them because if I do, it will not be of a suitable standard, will not live up to the book itself - and thus spoil it. Now, that is truly pathetic, and maybe this marks the moment in time when I do something about this particular idiocy!

So, my second gift. I am not sure why I have not come across this before, but better late than never. I am passing it on to you - prepare yourselves for a giggle. If the rest of the season passes in the same vein, then by the time Christmas comes, we should all be well primed for enjoyment, relaxed and mellow by virtue of laughter rather than booze. Well, some booze never goes amiss. I've already bought the Advocaat, I'm not wasting it.

Oh, and Celeste - I am using 6.5mm needles, and it would take larger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a menace, Carole. Here I sit (at work) reading your blog, snickering and giggling, trying not to be noticed!

Great writing and thanks for the gifts. I must return to the second one again as this quick look just made me need to read more.

Dianna from SK- I can't figure out the identity thing-I am me though