Thursday, December 01, 2005

Things I do now that I wouldn't/couldn't do then

But first

Motorway sunset

When I posted the dawn photo, I was under the impression that I had already done this one. Seemingly not (and that is my memory for you these days!) I took this on the drive back up the M1 after our Cambridge weekend. It never ceases to amaze me what good stuff my Fuji bottom of the range Finepix can produce. I'm considering asking for a slightly fancier model as a birthday present next year, principally because I would like an optical zoom.

So, just what the hell does the subject line mean, then.

Today I did my teaching stint at a nearby University. I nearly came to grief from the outset, I had to drive through our mini rush hour and didn't allow nearly enough time so I was late anyway. Then, I had to not only find a way on to the campus, but drop off my stuff and then get parked. I would have failed, but that I have learned not to overly panic, but to stop and ask in the first instance, and if that doesn't work, get the mobile phone out. After driving around a few times, asking several people, finding (yeay!) the right door, being offered and accepting a guide to and from the car park, I made it. The fact that I was perspiring and scarlet in the face and totally breathless from rushing up six flights of steps after an athletic twenty-something....well, I held my nerve and asked for first, a loo and second, a glass of water. Even thought I was already very late.

It then proceeded to go very well. A nice group, very polite, interested and focussed. I taught them to spindle spin as part of the session, and I have never known six people get spinning so quickly and efficiently. This was the first time I had worked with this age group, and I hadn't quite known what to expect, but I was very impressed and hope they ask me to go again.

And that subject line? I realised driving home, that I had just with relative aplomb done several things that would have had me cowering in the corner twenty years ago. I could never have driven to a large town that I barely knew and driven to somewhere that I had not visited before, and I certainly couldn't have accosted several strangers and asked for assistance. I couldn't have chatted to unknown young women, and made requests of them upfront. I couldn't have handled a lengthy teaching session with no clear idea of what was wanted of me - I had had the sketchiest of briefings, partly because they themselves didn't really know what they wanted.

Am I being self-congratulatory? Yup. I find myself somewhat grown up, and it is quite fun. Mind you, so is still being not grown up, so don't panic.

No comments: