Monday, December 05, 2005

Distractions

Although I am soldiering on with aforementioned projects, I have been distracted from this path of righteousness by members of the coven.

Nanny Ogg turned up a few weeks ago knitting a scarf with some lovely glittery stuff that I thought my mama would rather like. So I was brought some last weeks and have got this far with it -

red glitter

Despise me if you will, but I love the yarn, and my ma will too - she loves a bit of glitz and as she has been feeling somewhat low-spirited, I reckon this is just the thing to perk her up and enable her to fly the flag on Christmas Day.

Then, Freyalynn was moved to ask me if I had ever seen a Bosworth Moosie, and I was forced to admit that I actually owned one of the little critters. It was, I said, not a great spindle, but ok, and I would take it along for her to see. So that made me get it out, and then I had to try it, and for whatever reason try it with blue silk rather than any old fibre.

moosiebluesilk

Which in turn led to me now having to eat my words, because for silk, it is a wonderful spindle. A useful object lesson regarding spindle selection, because each one has a mind and personality of its own - I had tested this one using wool spun pretty fine but not as much so as this smooth, slick silk. Which the spindle seems to love. Go figure.

And as a final - well, not exactly bonne bouche, because I still haven't cracked photographing beadwork - this.

dutch spiral

(I'll try playing around later to see if I can get a better one to replace this.) Finally, it is taking shape, and having asked around and got some answers, no it will never be taut and firm (oh, that's all right then....) as other stitches might be. Still not sure I like that notion, but I will finish it and then see. I am glad to have perservered thus far, never like to be beaten. Oh, and apparently, African helix should be soft as well, so it wasn't my bad technique when I tried it.

Hah.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

My mum has been trying to make a scarf with that yarn but it just looks wrong, I suspect she needs a bigger hook of needs, because it looks nowhere near as nice and open as yours.
Really like the African Helix too.