Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Progress

Neelix, aka Wumpus, has improved in health somewhat. We still don't know what it is - hopefully more news tomorrow when the results of the bloods come back - but it may turn out that the second vet's first guess of enteritis is right, as after some antibiotics he is definitely a bit better. Still not right, but he is eating more. I hate it when animals are ill - we know what our symptoms might mean, and can say "ok, get me to a doctor, this is bad" - they just feel and look quiet and miserable and we have to guess. And make fools of ourselves at the vet's, at least in my case, as I do my hourly obs report, character analysis and so forth. "Er, um, very useful" the nice young woman said yesterday, kindly. You could see the thinks bubble - "yet another besotted middle-aged female doting owner". Means well - mostly harmless.

Anyway, cat-anxiety - any sort, really- usually means doing something fairly mindless with wool.

crocheted mitt

Another thing for the crochet collection. This is working well, looks quite nice - the slightly odd shape and angle in the photo is down to me only having a certain range of angle and distance available given the dimensions of my arms! The other one is well under way.

I am coming to the odd conclusion about crochet with all this. A firm fabric works best for me - given the structure of the stitches, drape isn't too easy to achieve. Double (ie single) crochet, or at a pinch half-treble, makes for a better fabric than anything more open. Holes are not our friend. And continuing the theme, a smaller hook size rather than a larger, again a firmer fabric and minimal holage.

Now, I am quite sure that there are all sorts of crochet aficionados out there who will eloquently assert and prove the exact opposite, and that is fine. But with my yarn and in my opinion, that is what is working best for me so far, and I'm having a good time in the process.

3 comments:

Freyalyn said...

Great mits. I don't even like orange but I like these.

All you need now is purple nailvarnish!

Spindlers2 said...

Well, you dyed the fibre!

Freyalyn said...

Oh!