Thursday, October 20, 2005

Oh, ..........bother

First and most important - the geriatric cat (so-called by the nice young woman vet, apparently anything after eight is such, which is about forty five in human terms, urk) is doing ok. Nothing untoward showed up on the blood tests. Something of a relief as the DSM was blenching at the thought of a diabetic mog on two needle stabs per day, which was one of the possibilities. Anyway, everything happening is consistent with a really bad go of enteritis, and slow progress is being made. To say I am relieved would be an understatement, of course. I only have cats to scare the bejasus out of me every so often, well-known fact. Ha. Being me, I am naturally now wishing for rather faster progress. Now there's a surprise.

I am blaming the Troll. It is true that the wretched woman puts a lot of left-overs outside, thereby encouraging passing rats and squirrels to take up permanent residence. But my demon hunter could just as likely have caught one of same that happened to be more bacterialogically challenged than usual. But it does my soul good to have an accusation to silently hurl at her from time to time.

However, the remarkably restrained heading above refers to the fact that the first cold of the season has landed. I hate colds. Yes, yes, I've probably said that before, and will do so again. Tough. I feel cold and shivery, fuzzy headed and nasally insufficient. Nasal insufficiency is a nasty state to be in, breathing has a somewhat central role to play in sustaining life as we know it, J...Oops, sorry. Anoxia can do that to a girl. Ah - again!

Mind you, a good thing about being a yarn-producer in these circumstances is that there is a fine supply of nice warm things to snuggle in to on hand. "The Splotchy", the dark green merino/silk shawl is fabulously warm, and is doing sterling service. I hate this - I don't usually feel the cold, temperature-wise, but a nice handspun, handknit shawl can improve matters no end. Not to mention that the time-honoured remedy can now come in to play. Whisky, lemon juice, honey and hot water, taken internally from a bucket-sized container just before settling down to sleep. May not cure the cold, but you sure as hell feel happier. And warmer.

All I have the strength for (strewth, even I am getting tired of this whining!) is to lift a crochet hook from time to time. The second mitt is finished, and in organising for something else, I found a skein of gold/bronze silk, almost certainly a "Chasing Rainbows" product, that I am going to try out for a classier pair. With beads. I should have some in my steadily-growing bead stash that will do the job. If I warm/perk up, I will do a bit more on the necklace I am doing at the moment. I'll post all the details when it is done.

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary - the brain being more fuddled than usual, I had to ask the maths graduate what number we were up to, and then sort of wished I hadn't as the number is getting scary. Yes, yes, I know that is a good thing really, of course it is. Ah, well, another three years, and we will be planning for some sort of extravaganza, and at least we will be still young enough to enjoy it! In fact, we found out that the Scout hostel up the river is available for hire for those sort of functions - who is up for a day-long knees-up in the woods, then?

No comments: