Thursday, June 16, 2005

Midsummer?

Today is 16 June, right? So, like, (sorry, can't resist, sometimes) yesterday I am sitting there shivering with a sweatshirt on, I add a heavy wool waistcoat and am still cold, so top the lot off with my nice cosy orange shawl and finally get something approaching comfortable. This is me, who doesn't feel the cold. I know that age just might have a little to do with it, but really, not as much as this. And I also know that I am not the only one moaning about it. All across the country, people I know are complaining about having the central heating on in June. Not just here, either. Out on what another blogger calls a blog jog, which is such a cool phrase that I may just shamelessly steal it in perpetuity, I keep coming across others out there bemoaning the unseasonable weather, emphasis on the "moan" bit, so I should just shut up now and go get another layer.

I had a very early start today, had volunteered to take H to Elland again for an 8.30 appointment. She does now know what is up, and has the options. Don't envy her having to make the choice, but the odds on surgery being successful are good, so maybe......But that means that I have a good start on the day, so have no excuse not to Bake a Cake for coven tonight. Damn. And also to retrieve the pearl bead bracelet from the dark corner that I flung it in to when it went wrong yet again. I just do not get it, it is not a difficult project, not complex, rather. Other people have done it successfully, seemingly. And yet, no matter how careful I am with the tension, it goes wrong. The extra seed bead to tension against every couple of pearl beads was working well until I came to change threads again. Then ptui. And in attempting to tighten things up, I broke the effing thread again. Is it worth it? I dunno. Don't wanna be beat. There is, I think, a Beadwork pattern somewhere that I might have a look at that is similar, otherwise, one more go, using doubled thread this time, and that, one way or another will be it.

Speaking of Beadwork - or rather, Interweave - it has been sold. To what is presented in the press release as a nice small "we appreciate your unique, folksy style" company, but which is really part of a much larger money-making organisation. I feel the cold finger of "progress" in the marrow of my bones. Given the changes that have been apparent over the last year or two...well, I see more of the same. Ah, well, everything changes.

Believe it of not, there is fibre in my life, but I am simply chuntering along with a couple of projects and have nothing exciting to document. The merino and silk that I am spinning is thankfully nearly finished, and then I shall spin for another beaded bag. And the crocheted waistcoat is, it seems, going well - I am on to the second front now, and have plenty of yarn left, always a plus point. As I work on the very simple bare bones structure, I am trying to think what details I could add to turn it in to a work of art, and no inspiration comes. I suppose that it might, at a later date.

The fibre for Woolfest has arrived, praise be! Now we just have to bag it all up, but it does mean that we will have a full stall - now we just have to sell some of it. Preparations for this may take me quite a bit of the next week, and then we will be away. I shall either not blog at all, or keep coming back here to let off steam!

gw

No comments: