Friday, March 18, 2005

Pass the match sticks, please

Or rather, don't. I really, really need to sleep, not mess around on the internet.

Golly, today was tiring - a full class, fifteen. Principally, me talking to them about the ins and outs of spinning wheels. Good and bad points about various, and the importance of oiling (sigh....I tell them about this nearly every time and it goes in one ear and straight out the other!) but in addition, I had two and a half newbies that no-one had told me about, neither of whom had a wheel with them. What a good job I had taken along my Schacht, Tiny Tim and Lendrum, so with the cranky old class wheel, we had enough.

Morning, got them spindling, they managed that ok. Started them treadling for a while before lunch. After, did yarn abuse as second subject with main group - they nearly fainted with shock at what I did to a skein of merino and cashmere, but were forced to admit that it looked loads better after shocking in hot then cold water, and then beating the bejasus out of it! Then, attempts to get two beginners actually spinning on the wheels. Which they did, but only after a fashion - and they got somewhat discouraged, despite my best attempts to cheer them on. Still, they did say that they would be back, although heaven knows when with one of them, who actually comes from Harrow! (Dahn sarf...)

And speaking of which, that is where we are off to tomorrow, after doing a certain amount of duty at Guild. Start family lunch&etc. Haven't seen most of them for ages and ages, so I am looking forward to it - one cousin did come, bless him, for my father's funeral two years ago, but few other sightings. By the way, that is "Start" as in surname, not beginning family lunch - yes, I know, weird. Drove me mad as a kid, which is why I ditched it on marriage. Now I want it back, but don't quite have the bottle! Workin' on it....

gw

No comments: