Saturday, March 12, 2005

Busy day.

Firstly - can't resist!

Jimny

Just a little pic, as no credit to me at all, except that I did manage to drive it home without mishap, which considering that the clutch couldn't be more different from the 106 was an achievement! Nice bouncy little thing, I am going to enjoy it.

Now, to work. Having got the bead loom out, what to do with it? Got it threaded up yesterday, with much language. Having done that, well, I had to do something with it. Being me, couldn't just find a nice easy pattern to follow, to try it out. Oh, no, disaster always has to be courted by Doing My Own Thing. So, I found green and purple beads. Then, this afternoon, got back to it and thought - peacocks, So hunted up some royal blue and some gold beads. I'm just doodling, and finding the whole thing very fiddly, but it might work out. Of course, I dove straight in, only referring to the leaflet that came with the loom: and then reading up on instructions on the web later, I see that I could have started in a number of ways. But never mind, I'm off and running.

bead loom

Then, having been putting this off for ages, I finally set up an instant indigo dyebath. A friend has a 60th birthday coming up next month, and I wanted to make a little something for her to mark it. She doesn't wear wool, (I keep on meaning to do her a range of samples for a bra test, but never get around to it) so this is cotton and silk. She is very much a blue person, so indigo seemed appropriate. But for whatever reason, I have been putting it off and putting it off, afraid that something would go wrong. It nearly did, and I have no idea what. I did a dyebath, and the yarn came out a very insipid duck egg shade, and slightly patchy to boot. The DSM was making reassuring noises, but I knew it wasn't right. So I did another one, and this time it worked a treat. That is the joy of instant indigo, it is so quick - a "real" vat would have taken too long to prepare to repeat! Anyway, it's done, the colour is good, and the water rinsing clear - now we just have to pass the crocking on the fingers test when the DSM comes to knit it, but I feel reasonably confident about that.

indigo cotton

So, there we have it...gotta go, visitor! Copy, Carol!

gw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did one comment the other day and it got lost in cyber space and if this one does I'm going to quit trying to comment. The first comment was on the smashing bead piece and your idea of the frame. Go with your gut you know it is trustworthy. me

Anonymous said...

to finish the above. You instinctively know what is right for a person and the work is always exemplary.
The car is great-can't wait for a ride in it. Instant indigo can be a problem but I think you'll come out all right. It's only when you use 8 oz for a vat that there are problems. cheers me

Spindlers2 said...

Dear "me" - Trying to be anonymous, eh? But I DO know who you are (g)