Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Niggles

Nothing major; just some of life's petty annoyances.

Yesterday, I finally drug out the sewing machine that DMIL gave me a while back, and I had had serviced. I want to wear a skirt and jacket for the family do on Sunday that I bought a few weeks ago and very, very foolishly did not have taken up by the store. It has a very full hem, and has to be done from the waistband, so I have been putting it off.....I test the machine on a spare piece of fabric, and then start in earnest, and the damn thing gets a hissy fit and the tension goes all out of whack. Now I don't know if it is the machine, or me - I'm unfamiliar with it, and could have set something wrongly, inadvertently. Pah. So out comes my own machine, that I had been moaning about, hence the gift aforementioned. I'm struggling to find all the bits, meanwhile going back and forth to the computer where I have some exciting eBay auctions reaching a climax. Now, to do this, I have to constantly change glasses, and all of a sudden as I put my prescription ones on I can't see. (Now that is scary.) To keep it brief, the actual frame has broken, no doubt due to my habit of sitting them on top of my head, and the lens is gawd knows where. (The DSM finds it for me later, bless his little cotton socks.) Sewing aborted for the time being, but at least I am fifty quidlets richer! (Did I mention that I love eBAy??)

OK, so today, Wednesday (right?) I have a thing at Alston Hall, a Disability Awareness session. And for some unknown reason I have elected to go to the morning one, which starts at 9.30, and it normally takes an hour an a quarter to get there - except that the DSM, who knows the route, says it will take a lot longer at this rather earlier hour. So, up at 6.30, which is not my favourite sort of thing, and out of the house at 7.30 - only for whatever reason, the roads are clear as clear and I sail through, arriving in loads of time for several cups of coffee......Except. Except that the seminar was actually fuckin'yesterday.

All my fault. I can't get used to my memory letting me down, so I keep relying on it and I really must not any more. If it were not for the fact that it is happening to all of my friends, I would be back under the duvet in a blue funk, but I do realise that it is ....just normal for my age.

Sigh.

However! The shawl is done. Not easy to photograph, as it is huge, and as it is raining, I can't spread it out outside, but for what it is worth, here it is.

shawl

And another view.

shawl

I'll see if I can persuade the DSM to model it for a better view (you really don't need to see me.......

And so, soon, to pastures new.

gw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for my laugh for the day which I sorely needed. The shawl is absolutely beautiful. It looks so soft and cozy. You should be proud. Forget the memory problems and join the rest of us.
me

Sara said...

Nice shawl, knitted? adn hooray for ebay cash. Saving up for something fun?

Charleen said...

Gorgeous shawl, Carol.