Saturday, March 05, 2005

Did I really just do that?

What? Go eat fish and chips at the White Lion at four in the afternoon? How bizarre!

Well, yes. Lunch never happened, so we stopped to eat on our way home from darkest Huddersfield.

And well, no. What I really, really just did was - go and buy a car. I've been and gorn and done it. As of this time next week, I will be the owner, for better or for worse, of a Suzuki Jimny.

Stop laughing.

Yes, I am quite aware that I have just signed up for the 4x4 equivalent of a 2CV. But - I had a couple of those for a lot of years, and got on just fine with them, so see no reason why this should be any different. I am not wanting to go off-roading*, I don't do a lot of miles in a year, and I don't have to fit in six kids and a lab or two. What I do have is a little bit of untarmac'ed lane that can ice up and keep me prisoner except on foot a couple of times a year. And I ain't getting any younger, so the prospect of carting the groceries down aforementioned ice-field is getting less and less appealing, so with a teeny weeny little 4x4 all of my own I will be liberated from such cares......

That sounds really convincing, doesn't it? And so it should, it's true, all true. Oh, and plus the fact that I just like the look of the beast. But I didn't buy it according to its colour, so that's all right then. (It is red, actually.) I think we may have got quite a good deal, it is only three years old and with quite a low mileage, but all the same, it is still pretty scary when you don't do this sort of thing very often!

*Well, only a very little bit (g).

OK, so - nothing new on the fibre front, merely on-going. I shall now take myself off for a nice restorative spin, see if I can finish the second bobbin (progress, see!) of the merino/cashmere. Either that or fall asleep in front of the fire. Too much excitement for one day!

gw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spontaneity that's the word - and I like the colour too. We are really talking seriously of changing cars but think it will be for something sturdier than the Suzuki. Just don't want another tank like the Ford Focus estate. Too big for me for city driving and parking.