Friday, August 20, 2004

We're all going on a summer holiday...

Well, 'im and me are. And if you can call it summer. Rain, rain, thunder, wind, rain, thunder. I have packed large numbers of books, much knitting and spinning, and am sitting here eyeing up the beads I am playing with at the moment. Wheels, charka, spindle - check. Sad, or what?

There are signs that the black hole may be shifting a llittle. I was finally able to admit that the little bag I had cast on wasn't working and go for a simpler one that will. Then yesterday, I managed to do something constructive with some beads - I have some gorgeous square purple ones that I have been trying to design a free-form peyote bracelet around, failing, failing. yesterday, I just got stuck in, and although it it too soon to tell, I think it might just work. I am also well aware that I have not one but two birthdays coming up in the next few months that I could bead pressies for - and I still have umpteen things for me in mind. I found a nice sunburst design on the web yesterday that will be great for the in-your-face red and gold amulet bag I have been wanting to do since the Bead Fair in April.

Then also yesterday, I got to talking to someone about more spindles to consider having to sell, another makers. And I am going to do it, what the hell. That started me thinking about marketing, and I then had the bright idea of doing some of my own dyeing - natural - on silk tops, etc and also on soy silk, which looks cool dyed. Then get to one or two places....I CAN do this! So, having a day out today, I went with the usual suspects to a vendor I hadn't used before, and got some good-priced silk (yes, I know I have oodles in the stash, but...) I need to get some soy silk, and I am also intending to check out some possible suppliers for "different" finbres, maybe merino and tencel.

I am aware that this is all very fine and large, but it is not me being creative. I still have work to do on that. I am hoping that a restful week away in Cornwall will be A Good Thing - well, I am sure it will be. After we have spent a hellacious day on our lovely overcrowded, road-work infested motorway system - but you can't have everything.

Back in a week!

gw

No comments: