Saturday, August 14, 2004

Don't monkey with me, dearie

Which means that I had a brush with this "monkeycom" thing. Being pretty non-technical, I know very little about these things, but when a little box that I hadn't requested popped up on my screen yesterday saying something about monkey/munky, I didn't like it. Shut it off quick and hoped for the best....but today, although I could get to my email, I wasn't getting on to the net anywhere at all. This rang huge alarm bells, so I ran security checks, looked at my firewall &etc - deleted pretty much everything nonessential and blocked this 'ere "monkeycom". And now everything looks fine again. But I've tried to find out more about it and can't. Anyhow, time to update the old anti-virus and run a scan on one of the free online sites. Can't hurt.

All on a par with the overall down-ness of this week. Combine the dreadful weather, a birthday and a totally failed garment (plus some other stuff which I won't go in to now) and life has seemed a bit of a black hole. So...(and now I am really losing it) I have decided to knit one. A black hole, I mean. I have some nice very dark brown yarn (that's as black as it gets with sheep), I've started with an i-cord, am moving on to dpns and will end up with a circ. Not sure how large to go - depends on how ridiculous I am feeling. At the end, the live stitches will go on to silver wire, perhaps with some beads, and I quite fancy a trail of beads disappearing inside it. who knows, it just might work. Well, its inspiration, of a sort.

I can't decide - am I really incapable of producing anything good? (Let us please leave aside the philosophical arguments about just what is "good", eh?) I make the double layer bags and no-one but me likes them. I have hideous failures by anyones standards, like the waistcoat. I can't judge my own stuff at all, and no-one else seems to really like it....what can a poor girl do? Start producing black holes, that's what .

Further steps towards photographs - downloaded all the stuff on the camera. No time now until we get back from Wells (groan).

gw

No comments: