Tuesday, November 14, 2006

First proper installment

I have spent quite a chunk of today uploading the first batch of photos from my camera, which takes me conveniently to just before SOAR started. (In the process, I appear to have lost one of my favourites, of fruit rotting in a birdbath, and I am quite serious....poot.) However, here beginneth.....

Having survived the trip over pretty well, we still had no intention of doing anything other than taking life very gently and being good little tourists. So Sunday found us being bussed down to Fishermans Wharf to get on a guided tour bus for three hours of looking at San Francisco.

Fog

I have to say, they did it very well. Reasonable commentary, and three maybe predictable but no less enjoyable stops. First at the Mission Dolores, which we had thought about visiting anyway, so were glad to see - calm, cool and peaceful.


Mission Dolores

We spent more time in the garden than the chapel, of course. Which was where I saw my rotting fruit, dammit.

Mission Dolores

Next stop, Golden Gate Park, where we just looked at the Japanese Tea Garden, leaving the Botanical until our next trip......

Japanese Tea Garden

Even cooler and calmer, with a wedding party laid on.

Final stop at the Golden Gate, of course.

Golden Gate fog

A few more images, in no particular order.

Colourful SF

Lots of colour in SF, great murals.

Coit Tower mural

One of the murals in the Coit Tower - much better than I had thought they might be. We didn't do this on the tour, I should say - we actually are capable of getting ourselves around!

I have been to SF before, although never stayed in the city. I love the skyline in all conditions, but especially magically through the fog.

Foggy city

Staying in the city was a brilliant idea and we loved our visit. The hotel we had booked had somewhat disconcertingly changed its name, but was really good and still had the veggie restaurant attached. We Ate there twice, memorably. It is actually vegan and totally puts the lie to veganism being dull and worthy - best food I have tasted in years. Wow.

We were three blocks down from Union Square, which meant walking to pick up buses and cable cars was easy. On the way, we passed the gallery that had Ronnie Woods art exhibit - I had heard about this, but sadly we never made the time to go in. But from what we could see - a lot - through the windows, he is one talented artist. We shopped a little, but not too much, and as I have said had memorable visits to the Opera and to have dinner with Sylvia, Alfred and Marj, a huge pleasure.

It would have been easy to have stayed on for longer, but we had friends to visit over the other side of the Bay - oh, forgot to say here, even if I did earlier, had a good but chilly boat ride out through the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz, but still have no desire to visit it.

So, on the way to Albany, drove down the coast and stopped - wherever this is, because my brain has gone numb. Great waves, anyway - one of which nearly knocked the DSM off his feet by catching him unawares!

Making waves

Visiting was lovely, but our friends were at work during the day, so we took ourselves off on a wine-buying trip to the Napa Valley. We drove the road less touristy - the Silverado Trail, I think it is called. Gorgeous. So was the wine, which lasted us for the rest of the trip.

Napa Valley vines

Friday, we set off for Grass Valley, but not before discovering our friends' downstairs bathroom, full of delicious mermaids, of which this is just one example.

Mermaid

More visiting with friends, then a super birding expedition - who would have thought that a mocking bird was not much different from a little brown job (and who would have thought that LBJs were international!) - which got us back to dinner very late and somewhat in trouble, but kind souls had left us plenty of food. Then next morning we set sail again for Tahoe.

Donner Lake

Via Donner Lake and a convivial lunch in Truckee.

That's as far as I have got. More later, for those with stamina!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Beautiful photographs. Especially interesting as I've never been to San Francisco.

Charleen said...

Thanks for all the great pictures! I haven't been to SF in more than 30 years but I've never forgotten how beautiful the area is.