Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Needles on fire

I can't quite believe it, but....I have finished my Noro socks! In rather less than a week!! Here's the proof:

Noro socks

Of course, the yarn is relatively thick for me and I used largeish needles, but even so, I am amazed with myself.

I won't start another pair before Saturday, my usual ploy is to put dpns in my glasses case and have yarn ready to go and then I'm all ready to cast on as the plane...casts off. About which I am trying not to think, as I don't like flying all that much (hah!) anyway, and the thought of an eleven hour flight is doing my head in.

So. We are about to set off. What with all the upheavals here, I can honestly say that I haven't given any of it much thought. Oh, we have made all the arrangements, of course we have. But it doesn't for once seem all that real. It will after that journey, I have no doubt. I have explained to the DSM in words of one syllable and several times over that I want a nice gentle few days drifting around SF, enjoying the sights, having frequent coffee stops, having afternoon naps if necessary, a bit of gentle exercise, nothing strenuous. We have a night at the opera to look forward to, and a dinner engagement that is going to be a real treat. Then we visit friends for a couple of days, then go hang out with more of the same for another dinner engagement. It's beginning to sound as though I need a social secretary........

Then it's Tahoe, and SOAR. I have heard very little internet chatter this year about it, who is going, doing what, so it is all going to be a big surprise, I guess. Nothing wrong with that! It will seem a little bit odd after a year away, I have no doubt. But I am very much looking forward to it, and particularly being back at Tahoe, it is so beautiful there. Which reminds me, I still have a bit of internet searching that I have to do, to check on boat trips......

When I get back, part of my return jet-lag therapy can take the form of blogging all this, links and all. This may well be my last post before we go, I doubt that I will complete any more projects. So, expect nothing for the next three weeks or so, and then a deluge!

Before I go, I have a photograph of the DSM and the cats, the former of whom appears to have decided that wearing a metal cap against alien mind-reading might be a good idea. Quite how he manages to spindle spin like this is beyond me.

tin hat on it

The yarn this time is so fine that it doesn't really show up in the photo, either.

5 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

HAve a great time, y'all!
INdia

Anonymous said...

Oh, those socks are lovely! Which Noro yarn did you use?

I too will be at SOAR this year, so perhaps we will meet! I will have a booth there and I'll be taking the Stephenie Gaustad class on spinning plant fibers.

I hate to fly too... so I'll wave dpns for you to have a pleasant journey.

Leigh said...

Those socks are a real WOW!

Anonymous said...

Have great time at SOAR - may be we meet us next yer again. For this time, I must stay t home and I feel a little sad.

So all my thoughts with you and all the other people at Tahoe.....ups I forgot - your socks re wonderfull.

Love, Elke from Germany

Anonymous said...

Sorry my "a" is tucking sometime.....

Elke