Thursday, October 05, 2006

And the rain....came down

Today it has rained. Today it has rained all day. Therefore, there have been no builders on the roof. Who can blame them? Certainly not I.

Dreaded cold went into the stuffed nose and cannot breathe stage, so I kind of gave up today. Ran an errand or two - in all the rain - came home and drank tea and knitted in front of a tape of CSI Miami, which seemed a not unreasonable choice, importing as it did a little sunshine into the day. Mind you, they really do use a weird colour balance for that programme, n'est-ce-pas? Anyway, galloped along the foot of silksock2 very satisfactorily.

I got to musing about using coins for scale reference in blog photos. Of course, we could just use a ruler. But then that has the problem of - metric or imperial. I can reasonably well use both for dimension, and probably regular cooking, although I am a little of this and little of that kind of a person. I always use metric for dyeing, but have difficulty with speed and temperature. So, maybe not.

Coins it is, then. So, for your handy reference, a selection of coins that might just possibly be found in blog photos....

(And, yes, I do know that this is a terrible photograph, it is about the sixth that I took and I have tried to fix it up a bit to boot. It gives the scale, live with it.)

coins for scale

On the left, from the top: fifty pence piece, twenty ditto, five ditto, all silvery coloured; centre: one euro, ten cent(european) bronzey, with a bit of silver in the top one; and finally, a dime (also silvery, and by george! About the same size as a five pence piece. I like to use the fifty because I like the shape and being larger, I am less likely to lose it. I took against fives when they first came out, and won't spend them - they all go in to my beach hut shaped money box. It has a seagull sitting on the roof.

So, bookmark this page for future reference, why not (bares teeth in a cheesy grin.)

I found the following in someone's blog today, and forgot to keep the reference. Apologies to the original poster, but I hope they will agree that this is worthy of further dissemination. I do so wish I were a few years younger and had kept my librarian skills up to date! An application would be out of here so fast...h'mm, wonder if that wouldn't matter so very much? A nice, motherly, mature older woman - what could be better? I could do the job with one hand tied behind my back.....

Are you interested in putting your library science education and experience to work in one of todayƂ’s most challenging, interesting and rewarding environments? T.. A.. E.. S.. is recruiting for a Chief Librarian to manage the Detainee Library, under the direction of the Joint Task Force-Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

In managing the Detainee Library, the Chief Librarian is responsible for providing, maintaining and developing library services and operations using reading, recreational games and puzzles, music, or electronic media. The Chief Librarian is responsible for selecting and maintaining a range of reading and recreational materials to reflect the needs of the patrons in terms of languages and appropriate/approved topics


This was from a perfectly genuine-looking website, by the way. Departs, shaking head in wonderment.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hah, I knew you'd have one! And now, what if the dime was put through the penny smasher? Or maybe we smashed a penny, and used it for scale? Begs the question: UK penny or US penny. Or?? This could get silly.

Leigh said...

Thanks for the coin info! DS collects coins but doesn't have any of those. So, page duly bookmarked for future reference.