Tuesday, September 12, 2006

At last, tunisian crochet

I finally got around to taking some photographs of some of the tunisian samples.

Tunisian crochet simple stitch

This is the basic stitch, in which you hook your loop around the "post" of the stitch below, much as in crochet "rib". I like this very much.

Tunisian crochet knit stitch

This is the "knit" stitch, and it really does look very like. My hand is in the shot because this sample is curling like crazy, but at least it also shows the row of loops in the first stage pass. (At the risk of teaching my granny to suck eggs, in tunisian crochet you use a longer hook with a stop at the non-hook end, go along the work picking up loops, then come back hooking through them. These two passes count as one row.)

So, curly, wanna see curly>

How Tunisian crochet curls

What I don't know with this is whether the knit stitch is more prone to curling than the other. I am doing this with an odd ball of Noro Kureyon, which is of course a single, so it may be that this is influencing things. Certainly, if you look carefully, you can see how the work is biasing - the wrong side ridges are on a distinct slant in relation to the hook. I can see some more experimenting in my future.

I have been enjoying this sampling, and am going to dig out some yarn and have a go at making a garment. Tunisian tends to work up extremely chunky, so I need to hang on to one of the largest of the hooks that I have been buying up on eBay, I may sell on some to class members, who knows. But despite the curling and the thickness, I am liking the resulting fabrics rather more than regular crochet.

We shall see.

No comments: