Monday, January 23, 2006

A weekend spent knitting turns out to be a pleasant thing

I had wondered. I never consider myself A Knitter. Not a proper one, anyway. Proper knitters follow patterns and do complicated stitches and shapings and stuff. And knit quickly.

But it turns out that my knitting speed is average, and I know lots more than some people about some things - like different cast on and cast off methods, types of knitting needles (Addi turbos, for instance. I also know how nice it is to spin with handspun, but that is not really part of the same thing.)

I spent my weekend on a course on freeform knitting. I now know that I don't want to devote too much time doing it, which is a useful thing to have discovered. I did enjoy the "log cabin" aspect of it, and most of the time passed working on this.

log cabin knitting

Which is going to be one half of a bag. It will need a bit of blocking, but all in all is not too bad. I enjoyed using commercial yarns for a bit of pizzazz in this - liberation at last? I am now busy fighting off the urge to indulge in a sufficient quantity of something all feathery and jewelly from Colinette to make an entire garment, so far succeeding.

To keep me going, I have some new and pretty odds and ends to do more freeform or more likely, strip or log cabin bits. It is a technique that adapts quite well to the sort of garments that I like, simple blocky shapes. So I shall go stash diving, see if I can find some handspun that will go with the more exotic stuff.

I did really enjoy having a weekend away, nice to be independent for once. And not have to make my own bed, or cook my own meals. I arrived back to a DSM with a stinking cold and intent on staying home for a few days (very sensible, why inflict it on everyone at work?)

Except I can't concentrate on anything with him stamping and snorting around the place (insert vbcg sign here). Ah, well, back to reality......

No comments: