Sunday, November 06, 2005

Sometimes I think I'll just give up the unequal struggle

And then again, I don't like to be defeated. But when I come across crochet designs like this, well, I do despair.

I am definitely coming to the conclusion that trebles don't work. I have been fiddling around with my grey Falklands yarn and different sized hooks, trying trebles, half trebles and double crochet and the latter does without any doubt in my mind work best. Trying hooks small, medium and large, so to speak, I found too that a medium gave the nicest fabric. Yes, I accept that this is my taste only, but I like a fairly firm fabric, with no holes! Holes is bad.

I am really not at all sure that my quest to create reasonably funky and wearable garments done in crochet is going to work, but I continue. To be fair to Lion Brand, I have found another pattern on their site that I think looks good, so that is what I am now playing with.

But there is the sneaking suspicion in my mind that this may all be a fruitless task, and that crochet should have remained in the realms of the delicate and lacy. Unfortunately, that ain't me.

So, back to playing around with my new iPod. I finally switched to the UK Audible, and got one free. Being a lady of a certain age, (washes mouth out with soap)it takes me a little longer than some to actually get to grips with all this new technology, but again, I don't relish being beaten. I really want it for audiobooks, but have no objection to a little music - I'm also getting to grips with iTunes, and giving the DSM conniption fits sampling the top twenty albums.

I might grow up one day, but do hope not.

2 comments:

Charleen said...

The newest Family Circle had a crocheted jacket with thick yarn and a big hook, but it was done with alternating rows of dc and sc so it looked sturdy. I've been thinking about venturing back into crochet. - haven't done it since my 70s afghans and ponchos kick.

I got an iPod for Mother's Day. I thought all I would use it for is audiobooks too, but I have been downloading all sorts of music and playing around with it. Doesn't hurt that my kids have tons of music stored on our hard drives too. I'm planning on upgrading to the 30GB one next.

Anonymous said...

I have a completed crocheted garment that I LIKE. It's from Melissa Leapman's book Crochet with Style. I think the whole thing was done in half-double crochet. It too was a Lion Brand Yarn (homespun).

She has quite a few decent garments in there that aren't lacey.