Tuesday, November 15, 2005

One fine day in the middle of the night

I suppose that it is not so surprising that those words sprang in to my mind now. I didn't have too good a night's sleep last night, or rather, the DSM didn't which always means that I don't. That wasn't so surprising, either, as we had had a bit of a barney concerning his habit of sliding out of the room (either literally, as in this particular case, or metaphorically) whilst I am actually talking to him and he is supposedly listening to me. I have stayed calm about this and Sudoku-doing, VCR setting and sundry other things, but last night's apparent nothing hit a nerve. Which was bitchier than usual of me because I had remembered that he had an interview for a new job today (same company, different project, sounding to be much more interesting). Ah, well.

Anyway, what with that and having to be up and dressed, if not conscious, at sparrow-fart because of announced visitation by gas engineer Nigel to service the boiler (do not read that in any other way whatsoever than heating/water-related), I have felt a bit jaded. And, adding insult to injury, for whatever reason this year, I have felt the clock-change badly, and when the light starts to slowly fade mid-afternoon, so do I. It seemed not unreasonable to do something other than doze in my armchair, I haven't quite reached that stage yet, but nothing too strenuous, maybe? So, I got the crochet project out. I have been making very little progress, I've mad a few false starts, but I am still not totally convinced by the elements I am planning on including. I like the stitch and the hook size, I'm getting a fabric that I like, but I want a little colour in there. After backing and filling a few more times this afternoon, this is where I am at.

crochet jacket sample

Although I am checking obsessively, I am seeing the supposed straight edges as slanting. This could be due to inconsistencies in the yarn, and if so will probably not matter in the grand scheme of things, so I have decided to carry on for a while at least. I am trying to avoid adding my colours as edgings, but I suppose if I have to, so be it. If this doesn't work out, I do have a notion of sections where I alternate natural with colour, but I would have to carry yarn then which might be a bit thick....duh.....

Spun another quarter-bobbin of the alpaca and silk last night. It is very grey. I feel like I want to be spinning vibrant colour, but having started, I had better finish.

Tea. I need tea.

No comments: