Monday, May 30, 2005

First photos

This is a building in the town nearest to where we were staying, Masseube.

France

I have more to sort out, this is just a taster. Not every building was like this, of course, this is the old style. Apparently, in the country, the tradition was until very recently, to use what was little more than a wattle and daub construction - and indeed , we did see some clear examples of it, quite fascinating - and when that deteriorated, simply abandon it and build another house, barn, whatever, adjacent. It was easier and cheaper. I don't think they did that in the towns, so this is more like the Elizabethan half-timbering. Jolly easy on the eye, though!

France

I took this on Friday, our last lunch out in the garden under the pear trees, with the temperature over 30C - actully, too hot for me really, but reasonably comfortable on our hill, with a good strong breeze, and in shade.

I'll get the photos organised and on to flickr - quite a few are there already, but I have more! And rather than resize them to blog them directly, I'll attempt to tag them and post a link. Some beadwork, too.

It has, though, been back to reality with a bump. Literally as we arrived home on Saturday night, our mad neighbour was doing something in the lane, and chose to welcome us home by standing, arms akimbo, staring fixedly at us. No smile of welcome, just the manic stare. Then, last night, it became apparent that things have been happening whilst we were away. Too long a story for now, but seemingly, someone has had damage happen to his car courtesy of madam's "storm drain". This morning, they were at it hammer and tongs outside our house, and I was on the point of calling the police, when it quietened down, but I think it is a temporary respite. It may, hopefully, be that at long last there will be some sort of resolution - or alternatively, I shall pack a rucksack and go and be a bag lady in France!

Me, deflated, gw.

1 comment:

Freyalyn said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. I shall look forward to the pictures going up. And to seeing the beadwork. Can you make it to my place on Thursday? I think Liz was muttering about coming to me, Margaret being in Scotland.