Sunday, May 29, 2005

It's only words....

because I haven't downloaded the photos yet. And as I took most of them without being able to see what was what, who knows what they will be like. This was because I either didn't have my reading glasses on, although this is not crucial; I did have my sunglasses on, more significant; or the sun was shining so brightly that I couldn't see the LCD screen, an important factor if you don't like squinting through the view-finder, like me.

Oh - I'm back.

Just to start the boring everyone rigid process, France was wonderful. The gite was very nice, I especially enjoyed the resident greyhounds and fifteen year old expat moggie called Charlie, who eventually got so fed up with the interlopers in his house that he simply moved back in, took over the sofa, and marched purposefully to the fridge every time one of us entered the room. The nearby town, Masseube, was not particularly pictureskew, but nice, and with the friendliest population you could wish for. Very nice wine shop, several bakers to choose from, and, just out of town, a restaurant that was more than passable, although I do have to say that the fish stew that I had on our last night - well, when it arrived in front of me, I was instantly reminded of the offerings of C.M.O.T. Dibbler, and was definitely of the opinion that eyes were looking at me from the plate. Excellent vegetable terrine and fruit sorbets fro the other two courses, though, so no complaints. Gotta try the local specialities......

Weather - ranged from Grey, wet and bloody freezing to hot, 30c+. Yes, I know, to a Californian, that is just a nice fresh day. I lay in a sunlounger, in the shade, and enjoyed myself (haven't read so many books in years. I also completed very nearly two pieces of fairly spectacular beadwork. There will be pictures - just not yet.

To our enormous relief, we found that some of our ability to speak French came back to us. Nothing like as good as I used to be, but then there has been a gap of something like twelve or so years. But we more than coped, even going so far as to choose a vineyard at random, taste wine, and arrange to have two cases shipped home. Mind you, I thin that the proprietor and his papa were just a tad disappointed that it wasn't really twelve cases each of red and white that we wanted...

So, I shall over the next few days get the photos sorted and perhaps do a mini travelogue. Then I can keep coming back to it myself, and remind myself of the delights. I have hatched a plot to go for a month, take spinning and etc equipment and Practise My Craft. Unfortunately, Pete can't do that until he retires, which ain't for a while yet, so I am looking for volunteers.....

a bientot (sorry about the lack of accents, but if Blogger does them, I can't find them)

gw

2 comments:

Charleen said...

You're back (and famous too!) My new Spin Off came and your waistcoat was in the gallery. Great story and photos.

Spindlers2 said...

No, no - it's Max that is famous! In fact, we are calling him "the famous Max" and he is preening himself no end.
Oh - thanks!